Cycling etiquette

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
YES - people who refuse to move out of the way even though you have either rung your bell, sounded your horn and have looked around and seen you coming....or if there are several of them....separate and stand either side of you making it harder to get past...towpaths are the worst !!

Reactions: LeighPing

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
The thing is that I was descending while he had just started the up hill stretch. We could see each other from a way off and if this was on tarmac I'm sure common sense would prevail.
If it were single track then I'd agree with you that the faster downhill bike should take precedence.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Not being a mountain biker the etiquette is new to me but the uphill hard working cyclist gives way to the free running downhill one? That's the reverse of road manners.
In my day etc. Cars going uphill had right of way as hill starts on a Morris were difficult, clutches and engines were weak?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm with d8ve on this one, the biker putting in the effort uphill should have right of way, common sense say's ride on the left.

Reactions: Emo Rider and flecc

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Not a mountain biker either but I also agree that the person going uphill should be given priority. Why should they have to lose and speed and momentum they have going and have to make a hill start from standing? Where as the person going downhill only has to start rolling again to gain the speed back.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Both riders seem to be on ebikes to me? If that's the case, it's not like either is having to work too hard for any position ultimately taken. :)

Personally, being on an ebike, I'd give way to anybody who appeared to be grafting harder on the pedals than me. :)

Reactions: bimmertas

Advertisers