Cycling in the UK... more dangerous than Europe

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Whilst I don't disagree with the findings, Europe (especially in recent times) goes way beyond just NL and DK and I'd be interested to see what it would be like for the entire EU (both "old" and "new" entrants).

I do think we could learn more from across the North Sea (particularly here in East Anglia) but I fear that if the road traffic laws of DK or NL (against motorists) were enforced and attempts made to "impose" a "cycling culture" into the UK and limit motoring or make it harder to the extent that foreign countrys have done, it would at least initially result in what the cops euphemistically called "public order issues". consider how most youths (and even many adults) think that flouting a traffic law is a non-crime compared to something like taking drugs or theft...

Things might even get better when the dust settles but it would be a brave government who tried to change the status quo.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I have mostly quit listening to MP3's of electronic dance music whilst riding for safety reasons, having nearly cycled straight into the Anglian Water roadworks whilst listening to a DJ friend's breaks mix - had to take quick evasive action to avoid a few broken bones...

plus listening to hardstyle, hard tekno or happy hardcore makes me ride faster (you tend to keep up with the BPM) and more prone to committing traffic violations. I dread to think what effect it must have on the teens/20 somethings in their cars (at least old skool rave was slightly mellower and slower)

if you have no idea what this music is I am on about - ask your kids, it is probably the "bang bang" stuff you keep telling them to turn down.. :D

Advertisers