Cycling on the up!!

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
"For the first time there were fewer cars and lorries on the road in Britain (in the six months to September last year) than there were in the same period in 2007"

Very high petrol costs would explain much of the increase in cycle use and decrease in car use. It will be interesting to see what happens this year. On the one hand we have a recession and on the other very low pertrol prices.

"Those figures have been backed up by reports that new car sales have slipped by 23 per cent and are at their lowest point since 1996"

Credit crunch :(

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
I have noticed the increase in cycling as when I get to work my usual lamp post that I chain my Powabyke to is no longer free each day! I have to walk and extra 20 metres to the office from my new daily home for the bike!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've noticed more on the road today. Warmer weather seems to be bringing them out of the woodwork, darned fair weather riders!
It's good that people are using cycle routes as it will encourage more, but I have reservations. I hope that not too many people decide to start making local journeys on them, dithering and going against the grain. The cycle paths won't take long to get clogged up, one Deli delivery service almost manages it on it's own in east London and when it becomes widespread I might be forced onto main roads or even back onto the trains.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
noticed a steady increase in the number of cyclists around Ipswich (a mixture of normal bikes and e-bikes, although most newer riders apepar to be over 40 years of age) - I wonder if its older people sacrificing the use of a car within an extended family group, whilst younger people (teens/twenties) continue to drive (many are parents so would need the car for ferrying kids about..)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cycle commuting has been increasing, but I agree with Barnowl that the reduction in car use is due to that period of very high petrol prices. With petrol prices down now and many people better off with large falls in their mortgage payments, just watch those figures jump now.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
It's an interesting topic. I'm certainly noticing more bikes on the road than I was in September and October. I would have expected to see less given the shorter days and cold weather.
I think the image of the cyclist itself may be changing. It's probably being seen in a more positive light by more people.

Perhaps, as has been said before, the cycling success in the Olympics played a part. I've also noticed far more bicycles appearing on TV both in programmes and adverts where they are often in the background for no apparent reason but probably to associate the product with something good or green or healthy.

Then there's the recent increases in public transport costs.

Maybe some 5MPH motorists are thinking twice when they see someone pass them on a bike at 20MPH down the cycle lane. :D

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Maybe some 5MPH motorists are thinking twice when they see someone pass them on a bike at 20MPH down the cycle lane. :D
And bus passengers, they seem to me to be the slowest of all commuters, even on red routes a bus is usually much slower than me.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
And bus passengers, they seem to me to be the slowest of all commuters, even on red routes a bus is usually much slower than me.
Last time I tried a bus was about 7 years ago, It was an awfull experience. Uphill red route I leave the bus standing regularly.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
the numbers in Ipswich have definitely held up despite weather and falling petrol prices.

Also there do seem to be more 20-30 somethings on bikes. I suspect though this is also because of this area being very multicultural - with a lot of the younger cyclists being recent immigrants from Eastern Europe.

That said, this seems to be as much due to a genuine love of cycling as just economic pressures, one of my Romanian colleagues recently spent £1500 on his MTB and selected many of the componenents by hand..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No real change in the very low level of utility cycling in my immediate area where the love of cycling loses out to the hatred of the hills.

Overall cycling around here has been well down in the recent icy, cold and sometimes wet weather, the weekends when the reduction is more marked with few of the sport cyclists and mountain bikers out either. Kids cycling is unsurprisingly at zero currently.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
yep terrain is always going to be an issue.

I do notice less people cycle in Stowmarket (or if they do they cover smaller distances) as there are very steep hills on either side of the town, whilst places like Ipswich and Felixstowe are much flatter (though not devoid of hills)..

Advertisers