cyclotricity stealth gears upgrade.

gryffe1974

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2014
Hi folks,

I've had my cyclotricity stealth e bike for around 5 months now and although overall i'm pretty happy with it theres a few things annoying me the main 1 being the 7 speed gears which i would like to upgrade to 21 speed if possible has anyone done this on a 7 speed bike and what would i need to change to achieve this.

thanks in advance.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I went the other way...... Had 21 gears on my hybrid, but after fitting an ebike kit to it I've only ever needed 7 gears. So I removed the front derailier and the chain just gets left on the big 48T chainring.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I should think you may be able to add three chain rings, (maybe need a new bottom bracket) and retro fit the changing mechanism.
Might be worth asking at a good bike shop if they can supply the parts and/or fit them, at least that way you'll get an informed opinion from someone who can visualy assess whether it's possible.
I must admit I like having a lot of gears as I use the motor as little as possible, plus if you run out of power the lower gears come in handy.
edit to say..........Just noticed the picture on their website seems to show more than one chain ring and a front changer.

cibaker1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 30, 2016
Hi folks,

I've had my cyclotricity stealth e bike for around 5 months now and although overall i'm pretty happy with it theres a few things annoying me the main 1 being the 7 speed gears which i would like to upgrade to 21 speed if possible has anyone done this on a 7 speed bike and what would i need to change to achieve this.

thanks in advance.
Hi gryffe1974,
I too own a Cyclotricity Stealth and agree that the main thing spoiling my enjoyment of it is the lack of gears. When the battery dies it is not an easy bike to ride in hilly terrain. Did you ever manage to upgrade yours and if so what parts did you need.
Chris

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A few options available 21 gears is to be honest to many on an e- bike either opt for 14 with just a double front chain ring. A very good option is to change the rear freewheel or cassette with a 36 or 42 low gear for superior climbing ability however you may have to opt for 9 speed and a new shifter for this then you could manage with just 9 gears with a good 36/12 or 42/12 range and a new chain.

Advertisers