'Dead' Sirocco CDL

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Thank you for your post. It's good to get another perspective.

I think I have already acknowledged that Woosh have been quick to help out. I am grateful for that help, but it really is what should be expected, shouldn't it? Surely it is in Woosh's best interests to ensure their products work well, whatever the background, within reason? As I said earlier, if I'd bought a clunker of a machine, I would have expected issues, but this bike was very little used. Trex has contributed quickly to the thread, but I would question whether he has always taken the trouble to fully read and digest what I have said in all my earlier posts. Some of the assertions trex made; e.g about the replacement controller, significantly contradicted or misunderstood what I wrote earlier, so I don't consider those contributions to be especially helpful, however well meant they were. If my exasperation has made me sound impolite, then I apologise. I am amazed at how gracious and how thick-skinned he (I assume trex is male) has been.

The problems I have had with the Sirocco have not been down to the age of the bike, I think. The OEM equipment is poor, and maybe a bit of research would/should have put me off buying the bike. However, c.£800 for a new machine is a lot of money and there is no way I would pay that for what is on offer with hindsight, although I would consider that outlay for the Karoo, which appears to be a much better bike.

The battery isn't 100%, but it's adequate for my needs and is not a major gripe. What I find hard to accept is that a bike bought in very good condition, almost as new, suffers from major shortcomings in its control gear after 1100 miles, has brakes that are, IMHO, inadequate and needs major outlay on basic componentry to make it rideable, as acknowledged by trex.

I'm going to leave this thread now, as I've come to accept that I'm not going to get a machine that is fit for my purpose out of the Sirocco. I'll scavenge it for what I can, but the carcass of the machine is a bike-shaped object that I have not found capable of doing my commute without issues along the way that have cost me a lot of money in addition to the relatively low original cost. That outlay would still have been necessary had I bought new. After Woosh's not insignificant help, that is hard to say, but is a realistic reflection of my personal experience.

If Woosh continue along the Karoo route, I wish them well.

Apologies again if my exasperation has got the better of me. Believe me, I would rather have spent the last few weeks riding to work than being stuck in the traffic jams I daily endure, even given the awful weather. I wish you all well on your e-bikes of choice and I hope to engage with you when I'm in a better frame of mind on other threads when I have my newly converted bike up and running in the coming weeks. Lessons have, hopefully, been learned. Over and out.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Warwick,

You've given a fair and temperate outline of your ebike experience.

You have nothing to apologise for.

Quite the reverse, ebiking experiences - good and bad - are what the forum is for.

Reactions: Alan Quay and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I hope he hasn't scared off his future bike suppliers.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
However, c.£800 for a new machine is a lot of money..
it's not enough for a commuter bike that you expect to get 5,000 to 10,000 miles out of.
Don't forget to factor in routine maintenance.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Warwick....even though I am a competitor I think you are being very unfair on Woosh,they appeared to me to help you as much as possible even though technically you were no longer their responsibilty.
Your comment £800 is a lot of money for an e-bike. Dont forget that HMRC take £140.00 of that in vat and £20.00 delivery cost. That leaves £640.00 for the bike,electrics and battery and Woosh would like to make a profit.
I find that the UK customer does not want to spend more than £1000.00 on an electric bike,which means that all us importers have to build to that budget. Thats not to say we build poor quality bikes,it just means we cant build using the best quality components available to us...for example the cheaper bikes all use the Shimano Tourney gears,whereas the Deore gears will last longer.
The BPM motor is stronger than the SWX motor,hydraulic brakes are better than cable brakes etc etc
I think you need to spend minimum £1300.00 to get a Chinese e-bike which has all the parts necessary to use every day as a ride to work bike,if it is a German bike that is probably close to £2000.00
IMHO £800 is not enough money to spend on an e-bike if you want the best parts,especially if you want local dealer support. However £800 should get you a capable bike which is used occassionaly as a leisure ride.
Flak caps at the ready,hehe!!!!
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't understand why he doesn't want woosh to fix his bike for him.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Warwick...70% of the problems associated with e-bikes is due to a battery problem. In your original posting you stated that you left the bike on charge for a few days,that would mean that the self bleed would cause the charger to switch on/off with the battery close to full charge,not good!
We all know that the sure way to destroy a lap top battery is to leave it permanently on charge.
The BMS system doesn't like operating on/off for long periods,it is more than possible that the BMS has shut down. I am sure that D8VEH would have some more knowledge about this.
You need to borrow a battery to try on your bike.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
As I understand, the bike can be repaired but warwick prefers to scrap it and move on to a better bike.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Well, as an epitath, the welds on the rear battery rack I scavenged from the Scirocco gave way and I've had to cable tie it to secure it. Another thing unfit for purpose...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
Shame you have to do this though. Ebikes have moved on a fair bit in the last three years, and I suspect the next couple of years will see a diminishing amount of poorly and cheaply built bikes.
My Sirocco is going strong albeit with a few niggles. For the money it has been worth the three years I have had it.

But when the battery dies, is it worth replacing? I suspect not.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
But when the battery dies, is it worth replacing? I suspect not.
I would still say yes. Technology improves all the time, a new battery is much better built than the one that it replaces.
The Bafang motor on the Sirocco is long lasting and easy to maintain, clutch unit and ball bearings may need replacing roughly every 5,000 miles but they are quite cheap to buy.
Racks that house batteries are particularly unpredictable as far as welding goes because the battery is essentially unsprung weight. An unlucky big jolt may crack a weld. Wide tyres may help preventing cracks.
Jason Scott had his Cube's rack cracked recently, the bike is practically new, only 4 week old.

Last edited:

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
A small wooden wedge will minimise stress caused by rack movement. Back to if it is worth replacing the battery you are talking maybe several hundred pounds?
This towards a newer bike would make more sense IMO.

Add the money from selling on ( without battery ) and it makes perfect sense.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't think a bike without battery would arouse much interest.
warwick tried without success to sell his old Sirocco CDL without battery, admittedly also without the rear rack because he kept them for his new bike. He gave it away at the end.
The replacement battery is about £200 for a 10AH, £300 for a 15AH. You can keep going for less than £100 worth of battery wear and tear a year. Compare that cost against the depreciation hit on a new bike, about 40% for the first year.

Last edited:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Thanks for the repair tip. I suspect the battery wouldn't fit into the rack after though. The battery is a tight fit.
I might try drilling and screwing the rack to see if it helps. The cable ties are keeping it together OK at the moment.

Advertisers