Dead tsdz2?? Help

Chris200

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2019
Hi all, so having converted my mums bike using a tongshen tsdz2 (48v 250w). the motor has seemingly died! First there where a few instances where it just cut out. We turned it on and off and then it went again. Now it is turning on, showing zero charge in the battery (even though the battery is full) and giving no power to the motor. I'm wondering if the controller is dead? I have checked all the connections and everything is fine. The battery is good and holding its charge. The only telling thing is that in the day it died she was out in a really heavy rain storm so maybe water got into something?

If this has been covered elsewhere could someone please point me to the relevant thread. If not any advice would be welcome. I need to redeem myself with my pissed off mother asap!! She wasn't impressed with having to pedal 10 miles with no power!!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It is likely controller fault. Is it still under warranty?

Chris200

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2019
It is likely controller fault. Is it still under warranty?

I'm not sure if it is still under warranty. How long do they last? Actually it was you I bought the motor from but I didn't consider the warranty as I had to file the living daylights out of the motor casing to get it to fit (flanged bottom bracket) so assumed I would have voided the warranty anyways.

If it is the controller, do you think it would have been anything to do with water getting into the display or elsewhere?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Circumstantial evidence points to water, I would open it up and look, and plan how to prevent a repeat occurrence when it is fixed.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm not sure if it is still under warranty. How long do they last? Actually it was you I bought the motor from but I didn't consider the warranty as I had to file the living daylights out of the motor casing to get it to fit (flanged bottom bracket) so assumed I would have voided the warranty anyways.

If it is the controller, do you think it would have been anything to do with water getting into the display or elsewhere?
You should contact support@wooshbikes.co.uk Andy will help you.

Chris200

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2019
Circumstantial evidence points to water, I would open it up and look, and plan how to prevent a repeat occurrence when it is fixed.
Yes, I agree. However the motor has started to play up before the rain incident... Either way, I guess it's likely to be the controller!

Reactions: Bikes4two

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Yes, I agree. However the motor has started to play up before the rain incident... Either way, I guess it's likely to be the controller!
Interested to know both the cure and whether it was dry inside!

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Seeing as you've contacted Woosh Customer Services, I'd hold off on opening up the motor as this may void any warranty claim (unless of course Woosh suggest you do look inside).

As an aside, I've fitted 4 of these motors to various bikes and not had any controller issues but there again I'm a fair weather cyclist and more than that I've been over all the motor joins to improve/enhance/reinforce any water ingress points.

The one problem I did have was the BMS for the 10Ah bottle battery in that I got intermittent losses of power requiring disconnection/reconnection to get going again, and then there was a charging problem too in that the battery wouldn't fully charge.

Chris200

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2019
Seeing as you've contacted Woosh Customer Services, I'd hold off on opening up the motor as this may void any warranty claim (unless of course Woosh suggest you do look inside).

As an aside, I've fitted 4 of these motors to various bikes and not had any controller issues but there again I'm a fair weather cyclist and more than that I've been over all the motor joins to improve/enhance/reinforce any water ingress points.

The one problem I did have was the BMS for the 10Ah bottle battery in that I got intermittent losses of power requiring disconnection/reconnection to get going again, and then there was a charging problem too in that the battery wouldn't fully charge.
I haven't thought about the BMS... That's interesting. I have checked the voltage of the battery at the connectors though and it's a healthy 52v whilst the display is saying the battery is dead...

When I say I've probably voided the warranty I mean I took a file and angle grinder to the motor casing to get it to fit over the flanged bottom bracket so I think it's probably very voided!

Reactions: Bikes4two

Advertisers