Deans T-Plug Fans

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I never liked the old Deans T-plugs having the (heatshrunk)wires visibly connected to the small plugs and prefered the all enclosed anderson style connectors but I came across a newer version which looks a nice little plug set with the wire ends enclosed in a small housing, so am going to give these a try.
Just thought the Deans fans out there would like this new version.
Deans.JPG

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't use any connectors on electric bikes anymore. Ask yourself the question, "When did I last disconnect a battery other than to completely replace it?".

To solder a connector takes 4 solder joints and costs the price of the connector. Solder the wires together takes two solder joints and costs nothing.

Obviously, if you're using removable R/C batteries, you need connectors.

Good find though, I'll get some of those for my R/C planes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't use any connectors on electric bikes anymore. Ask yourself the question, "When did I last disconnect a battery other than to completely replace it?".
to recharge the battery somewhere that is not your garage.

don't you go to work and/or on holiday?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
to recharge the battery somewhere that is not your garage.

don't you go to work and/or on holiday?
I don't know what sort of battery you use, but most of us use batteries that clip into a receiver. It's the receiver that has (or hasn't in my case) got a connector on it, which is completely superfluous.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't know what sort of battery you use, but most of us use batteries that clip into a receiver. It's the receiver that has (or hasn't in my case) got a connector on it, which is completely superfluous.
I use mainly HL downtube batteries. The controller is integrated to the battery base. There is no battery cable.
For those who run Bafang BBSes or Tongsheng TDSZ2, the connectors are usually Andersons if they need quick release for some special reason, XT or simple 3.9mm Japanese bullet crimps otherwise. The last two are protected by a piece of heat shrink sleeve. They never go wrong.
What goes wrong is when you connect an old fashioned controller in one of those silver coloured rectangular cases to a downtube or bag battery with bullet crimps, a combination I don't use.
None of my customers want to cut cable and solder them. If they want to shorten the cable, I just give them a couple of extra crimps and a bit of 15mm heat shrink sleeve.
The usual contact problem with the HL battery can be rectified easily:

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I never liked the old Deans T-plugs having the (heatshrunk)wires visibly connected to the small plugs and prefered the all enclosed anderson style connectors but I came across a newer version which looks a nice little plug set with the wire ends enclosed in a small housing, so am going to give these a try.
I use these new style Deans connectors on "smart" car battery chargers so the user can interchange between normal car battery clamps and cig-plugs for charging their car batteries through an accessory/cigarette lighter socket.

They do look smarter, but
1) You still need to shrink over the soldered pins as there is no divider in the grey cap to isolate the pins from each other in case one joint comes adrift.
2) On a 2-core cable you need to split the cores back so that you can slide the grey cover on before soldering the pins. Once assembled, I find I shrink over the lower grey part of the connector back over the cable a bit to hold the 2 split cores back together (and of course to make it watertight since the cap holes are invariably bigger than I need for the gauge of cable I'm using).
3) Once that grey cap is on, it's impossible to remove without damaging/breaking it off!

They do look neater than the old/original Deans style, but they're not really a substitute for Andersons. I think they're fine for the 4-15 Amp, 12-14 Volt car chargers I use them on, but it may be pushing their capability a bit on higher current 36/48volt e-bike batteries?

• Informative
Reactions: awol

Advertisers