Derestricted Haibike Review For Cyclists

Robb9771

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 3, 2014
I procrastinated for some time before taking the plunge with a Haibike because I couldn't get a real idea of how fast it could be ridden without a test ride and the dealers were a fair way from my location. I am a reasonably fit regular cyclist who covers 30-50 miles on an average ride. I was looking for something that would still be bike like without being over heavy and allow me to extend the range of my rides.
I should just define what I mean by a reasonably fit cyclist. ( Someone that could ride 30-50 miles of undulating roads and average between 15-20mph ) , this clearly doesn't account for everyone but for those that have a similar level of fitness to me you can gauge how the bike may work for you.
The Haibike RC29er was supplied from the helpful Martin at ebikes. Delivered with tuning dongle fitted and a larger front chain ring. This is essential if you are considering increasing speed as the stock gears will have you spinning out long before you get anywhere near top speed. The bike is fairly heavy at 20kg and this is becomes very obvious if you switch the motor off and try and ride up a hill ! On the flat with a tail wind or slightly down hill it rides well once its moving but you would be a brave rider to go out without a battery. Firstly the power settings - Eco gives 30% more power than you are putting in yourself so if you are fairly fit and can potter along at 200w then you will get a 60 watt boost which it just about enough on the flat to overcome the weight of the bike and on this setting I have seen a range of 40-60 miles displayed - This is always dependent on how much power you put in - so presumably if you crawl along at 10mph it will probably go quite a bit further. The next setting is tour and i think it gives about 100% more power than you contribute- this setting will pretty much get you everywhere but the range drops to between 20-30 miles - again this is based on my input. The next setting is sport and this takes the power up again and reduces range to about 15-20 miles and the final Turbo setting offers about 9-12 miles.
If you are a serious cyclist you may automatically disregard electric bikes because it's cheating - this does not have to be the case. It can offer a great workout at whatever intensity you want depending on how strong you feel that day. I would normally ride 3 times a week on my road bike and would certainly need some rest days to recover in between but with the Haibike I can ride every day treating some as fast training days and others as recovery days when using more battery power. As for speed this is again down to how fast you want to ride but as a guide I would say with minimum effort on ECO 10mph, Tour 15mph Sport 20mph Turbo 24mph. I have ridden about 5 miles at 28-30mph but this requires considerable effort. In essence the slower you ride the easier it is and the less battery power consumed. Max speed so far has been 35mph but at this speed the upright riding position and knobbly tyres are really working against you. I look forward to the eventual release of the Xduro Race 28 which resembles more of a race bike and would allow an aerodynamic position, slick tyres and a small weight saving which would no doubt add a couple of mph to the speed without additional effort. In conclusion if you are a "real cyclist" DONT discount electric bikes, there is a lot of fun to be had and some serious workouts too.

Attachments

Reactions: ray74

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
Hi Robb, nice write up. Could I ask has your bike got the 300 or 400 wh battery as your range showing in sport and turbo seem quite low, my Kalkhoff bs10 (350w) shows 31 in turbo (although i managed to flatten it in 23 in a test yesterday) and high 30's in sport, i wonder if this has anything to do with having the dongle fitted to yours as i have heard it messes the speed reading about and i wondered if that applied to the range display as well?
I agree very much with ebikes for training, I use mine in conjunction with a HRM and try to keep my average speed in the 18/20 range and i just adjust the assistance level to maintain my chosen heart rate zone for the ride, i have found it incredibly effective.

Robb9771

Feb 3, 2014
Hi
I have the 400 battery. The problem with the speedo is that its OK under 15mph and then reads half speed over 15mph so as you hit 15.2mph it changes to 7.6. This affects the mileage you travel as some miles may be done below 15mph and some at over so it cant be accurate. The range seems to operate similar to a car fuel consumption in that if you drive very carefully the range increases and if you go hard it decreases. This can lead to a false sense of security as you can be showing a range of 60 on ECO which would be about 10 on Turbo. You then come to a steep hill and put it in turbo and it drops to 10 then switch back to ECO and its now 32 !! I have found I tend to ride away from home on ECO and use the higher settings on the way home so I run out at home. I am 90kg on a 20kg bike on knobbly tyres sitting up with zero aerodynamics and considering that the motor is extremely powerful. I am thinking about getting another bike for my Son and borrowing the spare battery - I am sure I could get a fast 80 miles on two batteries.
I would also like a small spare battery that maybe would get me 10 miles - It would be lightweight and worth having as a back up if you misjudged the distance. I am going to try it on full power tomorrow and keep going until it runs out.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I am sure I could get a fast 80 miles on two batteries.
As long as you have no hills to tackle and don't go above tour, even then it would be touch and go with 800 w/h.

Reactions: rippedupno1

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I could get a not very fast 80 miles on my two 11ah batteries.

Although as Stu says, conditions - wind and hills - would have to be reasonably friendly.

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
I managed 40.3 miles last weekend on 1 400 wh battery first 20 on tour (L2) and second 20 on sport (L3) averaged 16.3 mph overall, only 816 ft of climbing as my course is reasonably flatish and for the first time this year no wind to speak of.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Rob,

Haven't been on here so much as been busy with sales and setting up the new store.

What a lovely read on a Sunday afternoon!

Thanks for your review on our website.

Could we use some of your wording to combine a more lengthy review on my blog? Really nice to see a write up with some real figures and impressions :)

Regards
Martin

GBCS

Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
Hull
Robb
What size front chain ring have you got fitted.
My deristricted Haibike runs out of gearing at about 24 mph, and it's all too easy to get there.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Robb9771

Feb 3, 2014
Robb
What size front chain ring have you got fitted.
My deristricted Haibike runs out of gearing at about 24 mph, and it's all too easy to get there.[/quote

I think its a 48 but hard to tell behind the cover. I can get it to about 38mph

Robb9771

Feb 3, 2014
Martin - Just wondering if its possible to squeeze some more speed with a 48T. I can see there's only 1cm to the swingarm but theoretically it could be 1mm and still work OK. Having tried it at all different levels, speeds and cadence it seems that the motor is more efficient at a certain cadence, ie if you try and pull away in Turbo in a big gear there is no help whatsoever but if you pull away in a small gear and change up quickly its pretty quick. I ride almost always in the bottom 3 gears but at 34mph on the flat I'm just spinning. I'm pretty sure I could get 36-38mph with a bigger gear. Is there any other BOSCH tuning that could take it to another level for off-road use ?

Reactions: GBCS

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I guess you mean 'top 3 gears' do yo think your 1st gear will still be low enough if you gear it up a little? Also remember at 34 mph you're above the assistance level.

Robb9771

Feb 3, 2014
That may explain why I cant get much faster - I wonder if the motor really needs to cut out at all ?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Currently that's as good as it gets, although I understand that the S-class Bosch with a speed up gadget will assist to double its 28 mph speed !

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin - Just wondering if its possible to squeeze some more speed with a 48T. I can see there's only 1cm to the swingarm but theoretically it could be 1mm and still work OK. Having tried it at all different levels, speeds and cadence it seems that the motor is more efficient at a certain cadence, ie if you try and pull away in Turbo in a big gear there is no help whatsoever but if you pull away in a small gear and change up quickly its pretty quick. I ride almost always in the bottom 3 gears but at 34mph on the flat I'm just spinning. I'm pretty sure I could get 36-38mph with a bigger gear. Is there any other BOSCH tuning that could take it to another level for off-road use ?
Hi Rob,

I dont think you will be able to squeeze a 48t in there.
Can always try though. A 46t may be the next best with a little clearance.
Plus hardly anyone makes a 48t in a 4bolt with the correct BCD.

A 46t will make a difference. Dont forget that we would probably need to lengthen the chain a little.

On the rear it already has a massive 11-36t range. So we cant go any faster there.

I do have a 46t here in stock if you want to try. On a side not it still works with the 44t bashring I already supplied with your bike without protruding too much and looking odd.

Regards
Martin

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Badass dongle 'assists' up to 45mph because it divides the speed the software thinks the bike is doing into three.

http://www.badassebikes.com/en/

I have one and I doubt there would be much assistance at 30mph let alone 45mph.

But I'm no test pilot, so someone else will have to try it.

Reactions: Artstu

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Interesting indeed Rob. hmm Alfine 11 and 45 mph, nice :D
I have visions of a large bang and lots of very expensive and very intricate Japanese components mashed and scattered on the road.

Advertisers