Difference between 44t and 46t chain ring

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Guys as I’m fairly new to ebikes I am changing my front chain rings to a single one I tried to order a 44t but this is out of stock they have offered me a 46t will I notice the difference?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As long as the chain is long enough you are unlikely to notice the difference. It probably is if you are moving from a triple, and you many want new chain as well anyway if the triple is at all worn.

I doubt you'd notice much difference even if you had them installed at the same time and could switch between them; even on a regular bike and especially on an ebike.

Reactions: Simonwwfc

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi, not sure what you mean by the front chain ring, if it's the one beside the pedals at the motor they are usually much smaller than 44t, mine for example is 11t.

What make and model of bike is it, it might help us to help you.

• :D
Reactions: Artstu

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As you say depends on the motor. For a hub motor you will definitely have conventional gearing; with a chain rings typically in the 44t range (almost all from 26 or even less to 52).

Some crank motors use a small chain ring to help with gearing, but most have gearing in the motor so that they use conventional size chain rings.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
A 46 will be harder to pedal than a 44 in the same gear, for sure. You need to look at your lowest and highest cogs on the cassette to work out if a 46 will be too hard. When I went from a 34/50 to a single 40-tooth, I found I was using the higher gears almost exclusively. Getting up steep hills is harder in a 40/32 gear (versus a 34/32), but my view is that if its not hurting, its not working! So I am happy to compromise.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A 46 will be harder to pedal than a 44 in the same gear, for sure. You need to look at your lowest and highest cogs on the cassette to work out if a 46 will be too hard. When I went from a 34/50 to a single 40-tooth, I found I was using the higher gears almost exclusively. Getting up steep hills is harder in a 40/32 gear (versus a 34/32), but my view is that if its not hurting, its not working! So I am happy to compromise.
If its hurting it may well be doing your knees damage you'll regret in a few years time. There is a big difference between 40 and 34 at the front, but the difference between 44 and 46 is much smaller.

But you have a point: OP won't see much difference between 44 and 46, but he could well benefit from having something lower than either (say 40) on the front, as long as that doesn't limit his high gear too much.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Simon get them SNAIL brand (104bcd) direct from China via Aliexpress sellers, they are 4 or 5 X cheaper then the same ones on Ebay where British sellers mark them up for profiteering.
I recently received my two a 42t & 32t each one under £4 each, both arrived within 14 days.
See pic #18 on the thread below.

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Simon get them SNAIL brand (104bcd) direct from China via Aliexpress sellers, they are 4 or 5 X cheaper then the same ones on Ebay where British sellers mark them up for profiteering.
I recently received my two a 42t & 32t each one under £4 each, both arrived within 14 days.
See pic #18 on the thread below.
Thanks for advice appreciate that it’s too late now lol I jumped the gun and paid for the bits o well il learn the hard way

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi, not sure what you mean by the front chain ring, if it's the one beside the pedals at the motor they are usually much smaller than 44t, mine for example is 11t.

What make and model of bike is it, it might help us to help you.

Are you being serious or have you been inside to long ?

Front chain ring is exactly that the front one
Only Bosch that i know of used to run small front sprockets and even they have seen the error of there ways

DSC_0113 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
To answer your question fat rat, yes I was being serious, the user said they were new to eBikes, and didn't say what bike they were referring to hence the reason I asked.

I like to make sure I have the right info before giving advice, but each to their own.

To answer your second question...Yes I have been inside too long ;)
IMG_20200507_184431952.jpg

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
To answer your question fat rat, yes I was being serious, the user said they were new to eBikes, and didn't say what bike they were referring to hence the reason I asked.

I like to make sure I have the right info before giving advice, but each to their own.

To answer your second question...Yes I have been inside too long ;)

Each to the own is a dig that i wouldnt but to be fair he was only asking the difference between a 44t and 46t so all the info was present so advice could be given

Anyway we have all been in to long so i will leave it at that
Enjoy your evening .

Related Articles

Advertisers