Dillenger kit problems - (m) symbol and not working

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
As some of you may have read I purchased a kit from Dillenger around 4 months ago.
While on a ride yesterday my bike developed what started as an intermittent fault but turned into full failure before I got home. The bike has stopped working and shows a (m) error on the display. After unplugging and plugging in all the connections it will spin the wheel intermittently, but when it comes to moving the bike it fails and shows the error and wont move the bike.
While trying to diagnose the problem I have found that the 3 pin connector from the controller to the motor seems to have melted the plastic at the top of where 2 of the prongs go into the holes.
It also confirms it has been getting warm because the plastic cover on the frame seems to have been affected by heat and the plug with the prongs seems slightly mis-shapen on the exterior.

I sent an email off to their support department yesterday, who have suggested it may be a case of sending replacement cables to sort, although considering they're wired into the motor and controller I'm not quite sure how that's going to work. Currently stuck for transport so if anyone has any suggestions as to what would be at fault or what replacement bits I could purchase in the meantime to keep me going I would be very grateful.

Will keep you updated as to how it goes as I know some of you were curious as to their customer service and how they deal with problems.

Also to note while I was trying to get home I phoned customer support for advice on the error, and there was no information for this display, unfortunately she wasn't able to find it on there system. Which was a bit disheartening. Anybody know anything about which display its using and what the fault code could mean?
to me (m) in a circle suggests motor, although I expected the hub motor to be the most reliable part.

Thanks for any advice you can give

Attachments

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Ok ignore the last, they have just replied :)

reply - It is possible that the hall sensor could have burnt out causing a short, but from our experience the motor is the most reliable part of the system.
The first step though in our experience is to replace the controller.

Fingers crossed this will solve the problem and wont take too long. Am hating being without my bike already. Will definitely be buying spares for the future!
Will keep updating as I'm sure they are a possible source for many of the people who come across this. Even though none of you seem interested :p

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Also to note, they also said:

Note: Responding to this query before we have replied may affect your position in the support queue. Our goal is to respond to all inquiries as quickly and accurately as possible. Thank you for your patience.

So it may be the case they took a while to respond due to me sending a couple of messages, I guess it might have moved me to the back of the queue. Something to bear in mind

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Another update - they have confirmed they are sending me another controller to try under warranty which should be here the next working day. They have also agreed to sell me a spare controller and motor so that I have spares for any future problems. Fingers crossed this will sort the problem and I can be back on the bike asap :)

Considering the only information beforehand I could find out about their customer service was regarding the rear rack, I have to say have been pleasantly surprised, and would recommend them to anyone thinking of purchasing anything from them. Seems a lot better idea than trying to chase up claims with Chinese sellers.

Will update when it arrives and if it fixes the problem.

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Final update -

After the first controller went missing I have finally received the new controller and it has solved the problem :)

Overall very happy with Dillinger and the service I have received

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
No purely just that it was a fault.
Someone on one of the places I posted reckoned my issue could have been a hall sensor gone. But as they sent me a whole new kit I wouldn't know. Also had the symbol come up on my second kit, though felt like a different problem, so in all honesty it might not mean anything other than fault.

dazza22345

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2015
Nobody on this forum seemed to be taking any interest, so i': stopped on here. But basically the new controller didn't fix the problem, and ended up replacing the lot. Definitely had a few issues with these kits, but customer service has been great

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
your motor cable has 3-pin connector.
The 3 pins are for the 3 phase wires, there is no Hall sensor inside the motor.
From your description, two of the 3 phases have got their FETs burnt.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the FETs can blow if there is a short somewhere.
It may be a good idea to check the motor cable for signs of chafing.
Also, check the resistance between the phase wires.

Advertisers