DIY e-bike

Oggers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2021
Folks

Thinking of fabricating my own customized e-bike by basically modifying a full suspension MTB or similar as a basis for a frame and utilizing a rear wheel hub motor kit. I notice there are now quite a few 2000/3000W motors out there - Amazon etc - and as such, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the following

Are these 2000/3000W kits any good? Any particular recommendations?
Batteries - These kits seem to require 48V, 72V even. What do we recommend here?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If you trawl back through the forum, you'll find many threads where the advice is nearly always the same.
Are these 2000/3000W kits any good?
No. DD motors are okay for high speed on the flat but labour when you hit a hill wasting energy as heat, not speed or torque.
Any particular recommendations?
My recommendation would be not to do it.
Batteries - These kits seem to require 48V, 72V even. What do we recommend here?
Find the highest current, highest specified cell battery you can find... and then buy the next model up.

What made you think of using a 2000/3000 watt motor in the first place? The motors themselves are cheap to buy, but the quality of battery needed to feed it isn't... and doesn't make for a good, usable e-bike in the real world.

Oggers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2021
OK points noted. What what you recommend in lieu of a DD hub drive? I would prefer to buy a kit - motor/controller/throttle at the least.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you trawl back through the forum
No need even for him to trawl back that far, he'd already been given pretty much that advice on his own earlier thread.

Advertisers