Do I have regen braking?

superjonnyboy

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2017
Caerleon, S.Wales
Not been on the forum for a while but have been getting good use out of my converted e-bike over the summer and on the dry autumn/winter days, over 500miles on the clock now.

Just the other day I did a 45mile ride and noticed some behaviour that I haven't previously. Whilst coasting down a VERY steep hill at 40+mph, I opened the throttle to the stop and felt some braking effort and the battery voltage on the display jumped up by approximately 2V.

At the time I had the assist level set to 1 on the KT-LCD3 which would normally push me along to about 30mph on the flat. If I'd have had it set on level 2 or above, I suspect I would have got throttle rather than braking as the bike will do 40mph+ quite easily.

Now obviously, this sounds like regenerative braking but I wasn't aware that I had it. Also, I tried the same again later on at 30mph and it didn't happen. I also tried it with assist level 0 and with the brake switch active but couldn't repeat the regen braking.

The controller is a KT60SVPRK-SLS02G. I notice the label says "brake input:Low level", does this mean it supports regen?

I didn't get a manual with the controller but I found a copy online that details the C settings and C13 seems to be regen brakes.

The question is: how do I activate regen during a ride? The brake switch doesn't seem to invoke it but WOT at high speed does...which isn't really pracical?

Cheers,

Jon

D

Deleted member 4366

All geared hub-motored bikes do a bit of regen. As soon as you stop pedalling or let go of the throttle, the controller cuts power to the motor, but it takes some time for the motor to stop. during that time, it's working as a generator. Anything that causes the motor to turn when the power is cut makes it generate power. If you fit a wattmeter that can measure battery current flow in both directions, like the Speedict, you can see how much you generated during your journey. It's not very much.

superjonnyboy

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2017
Caerleon, S.Wales
Thanks d8veh,

I understand that much, it's just odd that opening the throttle caused an increase in drag on the overrun. Made me wonder if there was variable regen that could be user activated via a switch for example?

I guess the C13 parameter will just up the regen effect for any time the motor is not powered then? If so that would make pedalling with no assist a pain, it's hard enough already.

P.S. do you play Elite Dangerous? Saw your username online recently :)

Advertisers