Donor bike advice reqd

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Building up a e mtb based around an Oxydrive CST HT kit. (27.5 350w) I have an Oxygen E mate for the road but would like something to get into the hills on land rover tracks with perhaps a bit of easy singletrack but nothing that would would be graded any more than green in a mountain bike area.

So far I am looking at Decathlon and Halfords as they always have deals on and I can get a decent donor bike new there for 200/300 pounds. I am looking at models like the Carrera Vengeance or Rockrider 520. Could up the budget to include lockout forks and hydraulic disc brakes but wanted any opinions from folk who might have done mountain bike builds and what they felt were features that are really worth paying for.

D

Deleted member 4366

Probably best to keep searching Ebay, Facebook, Gumtree, etc ads. You'll get something much better for your money. Often the used bikes are like new, but half the price. This one with hydraulic brakes and forks was like new for £110:

This one with everything Shimano XT, Rockshox Reba forks and wheels with flat spokes was only £450. I reckon the wheels alone would have cost that much new.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Suntour SP12-NCX seat post is a must for me,
9 speed cassette, I do use them all on the two large front chainwheels but never use the small third one.
I also prefer 26" wheels as I'm quite heavy and have convinced myself they are stronger.
These preferences suit me personally, others will have their own of course depending on their style of riding.
Dave.

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Dave & Dave. Thanks for the comments. Plenty stuff on eBay/gumtree but most of it is to far to travel for me. I chose 27.5 because 26 inch was out of stock and I want to get going. Also alot of bikes on gumtree/eBay are almost as dear compared with current sales of 14/15 year clearouts. I forgot about the ncx seatpost, will consider that thanks .
Not that I am too fussed but most new stuff is 9 speed which would probably suit me with a single chainring

Reactions: D C

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you get yourself an NCX seat post then you should consider non suspension fork. The bike will be nicer to ride and easily 2kg lighter.
My Giant D5 weighs 10.2kg before I added the electrics and cost £293 new.

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Trex, its a good point about the weight saving by fitting a rigid fork, but the kind of ground that I intend using it on would dictate the need for front suspension. I am old enough to remember the first batch of rigid fork bikes in the eighties and am too old to go back to wrist jarring descents.
I like the Giant though.Bet its fast with that big chainring !!

Last edited:
Reactions: D C and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I did put the NCX seat post on it, it was very good but the post mars the look of the bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you aren't too fussed about brake cut-outs, hydraulic discs are vastly superior to cable operated.

Advertisers