dont give a damn whats behind me

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
When I was riding my recumbent (in my pre-electric days) I came up with a little song which I reminded myself about this morning. The idea of the "song" is to help me be "strong" on the road, not get intimidated by traffic behind and to hold my ground. I'm sorry to say that like so many of my little creations I forgot it this morning, slowed, gave ground and ended up in the hedgerow! ... :( I will not be making the same mistake on the way home!
Everyone, please learn from my mistake. To help you I will be publishing "dont give a damn whats behind me" in the coming days so that you can add it to your music collections, learn it and hopefully avoid similar accidents.

:)

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Claim your lane!

Sorry to hear you ended up in a hedge - hope you are OK?

On my largely rural commute (followed by a few miles in town) I must admit I do give a damm what is behind me and keep a very careful eye on whats happening back there via my mirror and glances back over my shoulder. I actively communicate with following drivers via hand signals and eye contact...

Especially on the rural stretches I possitively "claim my lane" in certain areas by moving out further into the road when I know it is not safe for the following vehicles to overtake me, only returning to the left side of the carriageway when it is possible for them to see past me - I`ll often add a wave to indicate to them its safe to pass.

I have also on occassions had to indicate to following traffic to hold back / not overtake when I`ve heard their accelerating engines, but I can see the car coming towards us.

Although one or two have found it necessary to show me just how fast they can accelerate when it is then safe to pass, most have given me a cheerful wave or signal of thanks.

I confess it is harder to communicate with following traffic in town and in the dark!!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Yes. Thanks. A few scratches. I was giving a hand signal at the time but failed to notice that the road had been recently re-surfaced and there was a drop off hidden by long grass! .. I've now taken to zig-zagging down the lanes which seems to do the trick! .. (only joking!)
I had a much more mature ride this mornng. I even stopped for a gigantic crane (not much option!) and a tractor and received a friendly wave which as you say is always nice.
:)
Alan

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
Ahh!

Alton to Basingstoke road use to be a killer in the 70s and 80s riding them when I lived down that way even when I had a motor bike.:eek:
Dont know if its still there but as you follow the wall along by hackwood park on the straight bit nearer do-nut city end, there is a white cross which donates the first motoring fatality in the area. I got told this in the early 80s by an old fella.
regards
Fatts

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I'm sure its still there and a few more by now! .. I have been first on the scene at a fatality which was quite something! .. I'm taking the cycle route 23 - Beech, Medstead, Bradley, Basingstoke. Its a couple of miles longer but much nicer. This morning for example I counted 8 cars and most of them were coming the other way. :) :)

Advertisers