Dremel

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Thinking of getting a Dremel but cannot decide whether to get the 3000 or the 4000, the latter is more powerful but feels a bit on the chunky side ~ any recommendations?

Alternatively any other recommendations for other makes?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Get a real one or at least a clone that takes Dremel accessories. I have a cheap "German" made in PRC one and it is the accessories which are a let down. I do have a flexible extension and you want one of those! You really, really want one of those, it changes the whole control experience.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I still have one from the first year the Dremel hit the market and it has proved very reliable and well able to stand up to repeated use. It's amazing how many little jobs you will find for which the Dremel provides just the tool you want. I'm not fussed which accessories I use - cheap is ok for most of the work I find to do.

Tom

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I got a dremel 4000 a couple of years ago, it's well made and found it very handy for allsorts also with that flexi thing all in a strong bag, then put it away. Over a year later I get it out to use and could not figure out how to assemble all those tiny cwickclip tool parts. Might need to read that manual book next time.
I recommend and also got a bluespot rotary tool kit with a million tool pieces in it from Boyes or Amazon so am sorted for life with those too.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thinking of getting a Dremel but cannot decide whether to get the 3000 or the 4000, the latter is more powerful but feels a bit on the chunky side ~ any recommendations?

Alternatively any other recommendations for other makes?
I use a Dremel 3000 on quite a few different tasks. It's definitely very powerful and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Depends on what you want to do with it, I have an original single speed dremel, a high powered variable speed knock off and a dremel stylus rechargeable.
Any small or fiddly jobs the Stylus every time not a lot of power but very comfortable (pistol grip) and precise.
The original dremel for heavier work and the knockoff for jobs that are really on the dremels limits
And a huge amount of tool bits that I grab when they come on sale.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have this one but in another box and with stand and flexi cable.

Out of the box the switch failed, it is available as a spare for... 40% of the price I paid for the kit! So mine has a very nice switch in the power cable now. It was out of guarantee because I had an emergency job and had done my switch mod the day I bought it.

The cutting disks are very flimsy compared to Dremel ones and not up to cutting even simple metal cuts. The grinding stones are also not very good. The other tools work OK I guess.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I've owned the Dremel 3000 for nearly a decade and it never lacked torque for any of the hundreds of tasks I've used it for (not that it needs much, since this tool is all about RPM's). Whatever you do, buy a corded model, not battery. Also, stick to the Dremel brand. I've used some real crap off-brand copies that I'd never want to use a second time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, don't get the battery Dremmel. It's nearly useless.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
So the general consensus is that it is probably paying the extra for the Dremel ~ I am off to the Model Engineer exhibitition at Ally Pally in a couple of weeks so hopefully there might be some deals on offer which will be even cheaper than Ebay.

Advertisers