Dropper posts..

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
..sorry if wrong place to put this..move it ...bought said item^^ other day £350 full price...20% knocked off..so paid £279...anyway fitted it to beast..does what it posed to do..magura vyron...goes up an down..just wondering what,s the point...\??..tried it once going down hill..lowered seat..felt weird sitting that low..so stood up didn,t really feel safe..rather keep me arse on seat..have i blown nearly 300 notes...?..every review i,ve read peeps seem to love em..hope it grows on me...any thoughts on subject?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Fitting a dropper seat post is the only modification that I have made to either of my bikes. You won't find it of any use at all if riding on roads, pavements or canal towpaths is your thing, but It proves to a very worthy modification for off road riding, and I wouldn't now want be without one.

Three of the best Youtube channels.

Last edited:

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I use mine on the tricky down hill sections, drop the saddle and you don't get smacked in the nutz!
I didn't spend out on an expensive dropper post either and it's been pretty much bullet proof.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Hey Chez..probs a daft question..reading your post you say you feel more confident an not so top heavy..do you sit down going down hill with seat lowered?...thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
going DH you want ur ass over the back wheel not on the seat but if you still have that adjustable stem on it might find it hard why mine is flat and 50mm long.

if you do that and sit on the seat you will go flying over the handlebars

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Aye wave im not quite at their level^^...what you mean ..yours is flat an 50mm long??...mine drops 150mm...thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have a flat stem for my handle bars so i can hover over the back wheel when going down hill.;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hey Chez..probs a daft question..reading your post you say you feel more confident an not so top heavy..do you sit down going down hill with seat lowered?...thanks.
I use my dropper post continually, but judge whether to remain seated or unseated depending upon the severity of slope or terrain.

I guess that I am seated for 75% of the time, and unseated for 25% of the time.
The reason for buying an eMTB in the first place was to help my knee and muscle issues, not add to them by standing up needlessly.

Reactions: Paul smith

Chez

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2016
Shropshire / north wales
Paul went for a ride today and was more conscious of how I ride with dropper post ,I seem to crouch and with the post lowered and seem to have the seat between my thighs giving the bike some stability

Reactions: Paul smith

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Maybe it's just me bought I've have two dropper posts on different bikes i.e thomson being the last. i never really felt the need to use it and when i did i could have managed without. Decided to remove and sell reducing weight, additional cables and maintenance. i suppose each to their own but for most they are really unnecessary.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you dont do down hill then as you want it as low as it can go then flick it back up on the flat and climbs so ur legs are in a better position and not bent so more efficient at putting the power down.

the op post is electric and wireless ;)

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Think im getting the hang of it a bit ....useful now an again i suppose...:)....way over-priced though...

Last edited:

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Well observed!. I don't do much downhill. However, i have in the past and managed without a dropper. If i did mostly downhill roding i can see the benefit, but for me downhill was about 15% of my riding, like most i suspect and realised the additional weight, cables and maintenance for me wasnt worth it.

Nutella

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2016
USA
If you ride rocky, technical terrain, even when climbing, it's essential. It also makes the bike ride much smaller because you can tip the bike at higher angles in the turns which makes it come around faster. Which is very useful on longer wheelbased bikes like a 29er.

They change the way you can ride a bike.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I guess that we are all different, as I haven't felt that it is essential for rocky climbs, even on climbs such as below. It does make life easier, if for example you have to stop for any reason. Having it lower when setting off, does stop you from getting caught on the nose of the saddle. I have lost count of how many times that my shorts have become caught on the nose of the saddle when trying to set off from a start on climb. Once underway, I just leave it up.

Reactions: electrickery

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Well said Eddie. ESSENTIAL it is not, but useful it can be. Sometimes wonder how i managed in the 80's without one, but thats just showing my age.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I guess that we are all different, as I haven't felt that it is essential for rocky climbs, even on climbs such as below. It does make life easier, if for example you have to stop for any reason. Having it lower when setting off, does stop you from getting caught on the nose of the saddle. I have lost count of how many times that my shorts have become caught on the nose of the saddle when trying to set off from a start on climb. Once underway, I just leave it up.

Thought it was just me with the shorts on the nose of the saddle..... It's a bummer

• Agree
Reactions: Highside43

Advertisers