Dynamo Hub on Ebike? / Permanent Lights

RokitL

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2016
uk
Hi all,

I'd like to put some good, permanent lights on my Oxydrive ebike.

I've been doing some research online exploring different options, and here are two that I've found:

Dynamos

These would do the job, but somehow using such an old technology on an ebike doesn't seem right. Surely there has to be a better, more efficient option...

Dynamo Hubs

Although more expensive, these seem like a step in the right direction. However, it seems silly to install one of these on a bike that effectively already has motor that can also act as a generator...

Is there some way that I can connect lights to my oxydrives battery and motor?

Browsing the Higo website, I'm wondering whether it is possible to use a splitter cable to integrate lights to the bikes wiring system...

argh...if only there where more hours in the day...o_O

Thanks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In the past I got two DC lights off Bangood fitted front and rear and wired them direct from the controller or battery with an inline protected fuse. Better still now I use a KT controller with light/horn output so even easier to wire in.

https://www.banggood.com/DC12-85V-4LEDs-Motorcycle-E-bike-Headlight-Lamp-Aluminum-p-1030142.html?rmmds=search
I used the same one for the rear with a red filter behind the lense it is bright as buggery for a night rear light.

Those dynamo lights are expensive and add drag, there are many simpler and cheaper ways to do lights.

Reactions: RokitL

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For the Oxydrive you need to take a gnd -- feed off the controller or battery line and a live feed from the battery wire, bung a fuse on the live side and wire in a simple switch unless you want night and day lights.

D

Deleted member 4366

It doesn't make ant sense at all to put a dynamo on an electric bike. Basically, you're using the battery to turn the wheel to turn the dynamo to generate electricity to work the lights. In all cases you end up with less electricity than you started with. it would make much more sense to power the lights directly from the battery, except that it's easier to get battery powered lights.

These ones are really good and are so cheap (50P each) that you can leave them on your bike and not have to worry about people nicking them. They're pretty bright, but not enough to see where you're going on unlit roads. I buy them three pairs at a time and never replace the batteries:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-3-Mode-Silicone-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Front-or-Rear-Light-Set-Inc-Batteries-/252492554473?var=&hash=item3ac9baa0e9:m:mAG3xUNVTe7Z7l3xAFdls2Q

This one is perfect for unlit roads. I guarantee that you won't need a brighter one. They look really cool with the blue ring around the main light that you can use as a daytime light, flashing or not:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000LM-CREE-XM-L2-LED-Head-Front-Bicycle-Bike-Lamp-Headlight-Hunting-6400mAh-AC-/161891967934?hash=item25b18363be:g:i58AAOSw6dNWTd5w

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a night and day b+m wired directly into the battery wire which leaves the controller. Disadvantage (1), limited to 42 V (I have read that they will take more V on a German forum).

The row of daytime running LEDs is very good at making people stop when you have the right of way, they dim at night and the main LED comes on to full power. The headlight feeds the tail light so that is always on as well.

Disadvantage (2) when you are pushing your bike down the pedestrian street people will stop you to tell you your lights are on. "Of course they are, it is to stop you walking into me because you are too damned busy looking at your mobile phone" is not the correct reply apparently... :rolleyes: And surprise! People too busy looking at their mobile phone still manage to walk into you despite the lights being on!

The reason I am not out at the moment in the pitch black on my new steed is because I lost a simple plastic mounting holder for my battery powered back up light :(

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Me and gf use these, has a nice low setting on front and high is bright enough for those unlit cycleways. Have used the battery pack style ones in the past but find the wires annoying, although with a decent battery pack these will run for longer. The included back light is plenty bright too and does flash, strobe and solid

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEGBIT-Rechargeable-Mountain-Bicycle-Headlight/dp/B01LXNL6KV

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: topographer

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Me and gf use these, has a nice low setting on front and high is bright enough for those unlit cycleways. Have used the battery pack style ones in the past but find the wires annoying, although with a decent battery pack these will run for longer. The included back light is plenty bright too and does flash, strobe and solid

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEGBIT-Rechargeable-Mountain-Bicycle-Headlight/dp/B01LXNL6KV

They look nice. Could be just right for me. I don't like the idea of a battery pack and wire either. How long are you getting from a charge?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
They look nice. Could be just right for me. I don't like the idea of a battery pack and wire either. How long are you getting from a charge?
Haven't ran them flat yet tend to charge them before any long rides, but typically travel an hour and a half with them switched on

RokitL

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2016
uk
Thanks for all the replies - very informative.

- I had an incident a couple of weeks ago that instantly converted me into an advocate of permanent daytime lights: It was a bright sunny day, I was going around a round-about that I use everyday. This one car was approaching the round-about at a spot where I'm used to seeing cars stopping and waiting for me to pass as I have right of way, however this one car didn't stop, it just kept on going, and I was completely at the mercy of whatever would happen next. All I could do was say 'F**k...'. Then it suddenly screeched to a halt. As I rolled past, I looked into the face of the driver, and staring back at me was the face of a shocked old man. I couldn't be angry - he just couldn't see me. And it was at that moment that I fully appreciated that a lot of people on the road just can't see as well as I can... so from now on its lights all the time for me.

Furthermore, this Oxydrive ebike that the lights are for is for my mum, so I'll be damned if shes going out on to the roads without the full works, especially in London.

- I'll definitely be trying to implement the methods suggested above of wiring the lights directly to the battery or controller.

- However, I'm just wondering, with this method, if the battery runs out during a ride, then the lights also go out... For this circumstance, would there be some way of making the motor act as a generator/dynamo hub to power the lights? Would this require a different kind of controller? Do customisable controllers exist? o_O

Thanks!

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've got a Shimano hub dynamo on my Oxygen. It drives a very good Busch & Muller front light that is designed for on-road use; i.e. it doesn't blind oncoming traffic and/or pedestrians. That's important to me, as I really hate being dazzled myself by twits on bikes running extremely bright, off-road lights on roads.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When the LVC comes into play and their isn't enough power/volts to allow the motor to work the lights will still shine. Also after a few minutes the voltage stabilises though often not enough for driver power but will be plenty left to power lights for riding with no pas or throttle.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks for all the replies - very informative.

- I had an incident a couple of weeks ago that instantly converted me into an advocate of permanent daytime lights: It was a bright sunny day, I was going around a round-about that I use everyday. This one car was approaching the round-about at a spot where I'm used to seeing cars stopping and waiting for me to pass as I have right of way, however this one car didn't stop, it just kept on going, and I was completely at the mercy of whatever would happen next. All I could do was say 'F**k...'. Then it suddenly screeched to a halt. As I rolled past, I looked into the face of the driver, and staring back at me was the face of a shocked old man. I couldn't be angry - he just couldn't see me. And it was at that moment that I fully appreciated that a lot of people on the road just can't see as well as I can... so from now on its lights all the time for me.

Furthermore, this Oxydrive ebike that the lights are for is for my mum, so I'll be damned if shes going out on to the roads without the full works, especially in London.

- I'll definitely be trying to implement the methods suggested above of wiring the lights directly to the battery or controller.

- However, I'm just wondering, with this method, if the battery runs out during a ride, then the lights also go out... For this circumstance, would there be some way of making the motor act as a generator/dynamo hub to power the lights? Would this require a different kind of controller? Do customisable controllers exist? o_O

Thanks!
While D8vh, is technically correct in that a dynamo , being driven by a motor is inherently less efficient than any direct electrical connection, I think he is missing the point. A dynamo is very much a set and forget product. With LED bulbs, they wont blow or wear out . Moreover were the battery to fail they will still produce light. Lights get stolen with ease from bikes and it is no consolation on a dark night that they are cheap. There are plenty of people out there who would take them just for devilment.

Many of the urban or city type bikes bikes made by the major companies will come with a front wheel hub dynamo and an already wired in set of lights front and rear. They are not super bright , but are good enough for city and suburban commuting. There is no value in stealing these as they are built into the bike.
The power loss into one of these dynamos is probably 5 to 6 watts, and that is negligible in the context of the 100 watts a person is generating.

Lets just recap on the ways of lighting a bike.
Modern White Light LEDs require a voltage of 3.5 to 5 volts across the diode junction to work RED Leds need 1.6 Volts but those used in White Lights need the 3.3V , as the mechanism for creating light is different. . If higher voltages are used then either a number of diodes are being run in series connection , or a voltage dropping circuit is being used.
A single Lithium Ion cell at 3.7 to 4.2 V or as was previously used 3 standard alkaline cells at 1.6V each is a good match to the voltage requirement. A current of 1Amp will produce a very bright level, and be consuming about 4W of power. . The type of lamp that D8Vh is proposing is of these types. Halfords have reasonable alternatives at about the 15 pound level

It would seem obvious that the big battery in the ebike motor should be able to supply that voltage, but the problem is that it is at 36 vollts . Therefore a major amount of voltage reduction is required. Unless one is prepared to live with major inefficiencies and use a series resistance or current regulator, The best way is to use a dc to dc stepdown convertor as these can be 80 to 90% efficient . . Some motor controllers can provide this type of auxiliary output for both the lighting and for auxiliary purposes eg phone charging. . As another Kiwi has indicated, The DC to DC convertor can be packaged internally within the lamp casing

There are two types of bike dynamo. The old fashioned bottle dynamo which is driven by the tyre wall in a friction drive... as per your initial picture. They have the advantage of being cheap and easily to retrofit. Their disadvantages are that they are horribly inefficient , friction drives are just not good, and they wear the tyre, and they also slip when the tyre is wet.
The hub dynamo is a much more robust product, it may well be just as old as the bottle type.. strumley archer were making them many decades ago. , has no friction losses . The most recent versions have a supercapacitor built in so that the lights remain on for a few minutes even after the bike is stopped. .. A useful feature when stopped at traffic lights. The 1950s Rudge Bikes , used to have a small lead acid battery, storing the SA dynamo power for exactly the same reason.

The notion of using the main motor as a generator is not worth pursuing

Last edited:
  • Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can buy b+m e-bike lights which plug into the battery and work from 6 to 42 V and also have daytime running lights. As you go up in the range you have lights that work from 6 to 70 V and others that change automatically from day to night time power depending on ambiant light captured by a sensor.

The beam is nice and wide and flat and doesn't blind oncoming motorists. And it is powerful enough to feel comfortable doing 60 km/h downhill. Yes they have a price but so do security and comfort...

Mine is plugged into the controller power wires, when the battery is plugged in the lights are on even if the controller is turned off. Can't get more 24/24 than that!

• Agree
Reactions: Warwick

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For permanent lights without adding/or additional wiring to consider then the newer smarter KT controllers are good in that respect, they have a prewired light and horn connector.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I must be one of the many BMS battery clients that replied to the e-mail asking if I was satisfied with my order: "yes but the controller should have a light output". :)

Eglwyseg

Pedelecer
May 25, 2017
Malpas
The last battery I bought, just at the start of summer, has an integrated LED rear lamp and operated by pressing the battery status switch for three seconds. It's bright but not fierce.

For a front lamp, I have an led lamp that detaches from the clip on the handle bar. It lights up a dark lane a treat.

Hi all,

I've been doing some research online exploring different options, and here are two that I've found:

Dynamos

These would do the job, but somehow using such an old technology on an ebike doesn't seem right. Surely there has to be a better, more efficient option...

Dynamo Hubs

Although more expensive, these seem like a step in the right direction. However, it seems silly to install one of these on a bike that effectively already has motor that can also act as a generator...

Browsing the Higo website, I'm wondering whether it is possible to use a splitter cable to integrate lights to the bikes wiring system...

Thanks![/QUOTE

Hi all,

Dynamos

Dynamo Hubs

Thanks!

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Given the OP's roundabout story, I'm not sure adding a weak dynamo light would make a big difference. If you want an old man with dodgy eyes to see you going around a roundabout, try wearing a dayglo jacket and adding some dayglo doo-dahs to your spokes.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Given the OP's roundabout story, I'm not sure adding a weak dynamo light would make a big difference. If you want an old man with dodgy eyes to see you going around a roundabout, try wearing a dayglo jacket and adding some dayglo doo-dahs to your spokes.
The hub dynamos with LED lamps are not weak, they do provide a good level of lighting, particularly in urban suburban areas and would be legally bright. A light source particularly strobing, is more arresting than a hi viz jacket. But then maybe nothing would work with an old guy with probably tunnel vision

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Re hub dynamos: noted.

Strobing is good at night—how good is it in daytime?—but a big, glowing, moving mass helps (in addition to normal precautions). I think some people too easily fail to see anything that doesn't have the mass of a car.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Bingo! You have caught on. The responsibility to be seen is put squarely on the shoulders of the cyclist. It should be the responsibility of the driver to be in perfect control of an instrument of death - cars kill pedestrians, cars kill cyclists, cars kill other car drivers and passengers!

When a bicycle kills a pedestrian it is on the front page in huge type. You have had two cases recently in the UK. When a car kills anybody it is on page five and everybody is really sad, what a shame a beautiful car got damaged...

I have bought myself a deathtrap, I knew what I was doing. All my entourage is saying "put a flag on it". Drivers don't see flags. Drivers don't see pedestrians, cyclists or even other drivers. I have to think for them and for myself. No flags, day-glo yes, lights on 24/24 yes. If that doesn't stop me from being killed I hope my sons get a big insurance payout because I have done my part to be visible on the road and I play by the rules. And boy am I careful, especially when I am following cars!

Advertisers