Dynamos and hub dynamos, Battery charging

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
This discussion reminds me about something curious tha happened the other day. I have wired my lights into the main loom on my cruiser. It has a n old, geared Q100, and an old, no name controller. The battery was disconnected, and I wheeled it up the drive. The lights came on, so my old controller is making some regeneration from the motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

Only if your clutch is jammed or you were going backwards.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Don't think it's either, but I will confirm...
Edit: yes, looks like a stuck clutch. I'd assumed that a stuck clutch would be more obvious than that. Makes hardly any difference.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
A dynamo is a DD motor, so now you have a geared hub motor and DD motor. Wouldn't it be simpler to apply your intelligent system to just the DD motor, like what Giant and Kalkhoff do?
if you build a regen braking system (flywheels or geared e-brakes), you can do better than off the shelf Shimano 6V 3W dynamo or using the free regen functionality on DD motors .

D

Deleted member 4366

Why don't you uild one then and tell us well it works. Perhaps you can persuate them to put it on a Woosh bike.

Rod Fuller

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
if you build a regen braking system (flywheels or geared e-brakes), you can do better than off the shelf Shimano 6V 3W dynamo or using the free regen functionality on DD motors .
Back to nearly square one, converter & rectification required for battery & lights. RJF

jerry2wheels

Just Joined
Oct 25, 2019
Hi, I'm a newbie!. I've had a P/A bike for about a year now, and am very pleased I bought it (I live in Devon). I use it most days, and usually for longers rides maybe once a week. I have done up to 65 miles, and battery still showing 1/4 charge,. I only use P/A on steep hills, so a lot of the time I am in "neutral", and wondered if I fitted a dynamo hub on the front, I could put a trickle into battery on the flats/downhill sections, for longer rides. I don't mean to fully charge battery!!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Riding an electric bike with an active dynamo on it is the same as riding everywhere with your brakes slightly on. It just doesn't make sense. The dynamos are say 3W. That means that you'd have to pedal 5% harder everywhere you went except when freewheeling. The dynamo would take 133 hrs to fully charge a 400Wh battery, so during a 3 hour ride, you'd save 2% of your battery for all that effort.

What if you had a switch so that the dynamo only operated when you went downhill? Add up all the time you go downhill during a ride. Let's say 15 minutes if you live in a hilly area. That would put 0.2% charge back into your battery, or 0.75 Wh. You could save more electricity by switching off your bike every time you stop at traffic lights or to chat to someone, or even when you're freewheeling downhill. Your ebike electrical system draws about 3W when on standby (switched on but not assisting).

I say it again: It doesn't make any sense to use a battery to drive a motor that drives a wheel that drives a dynamo that makes electricity to put back in the battery because you never get back what you started with.

Last edited:

jerry2wheels

Just Joined
Oct 25, 2019
Hi vfr400, (I have a Benelli Tornado, but I digress!!). Many thanks for your post, I didn't realise that dynamos cause that much drag, DOH! So when I switch off display on long flatish or in towns (which I do now), that saves as much as dynamo would put in, plus it would be harder on those sections, and presumably up hills as well!! Can you switch the dynamos off (the hub type I mean)? I didn't think you could.
All in all I think I'd better give up on that idea, thanks again for your help, Jerry.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I say it again: It doesn't make any sense to use a battery to drive a motor that drives a wheel that drives a dynamo that makes electricity to put back in the battery because you never get back what you started with.
It certainly does not not make efficiency sense as you say. It arguably makes reliability sense; if you run out of battery on the way home you still have light. A couple of rechargable USB lights probably makes more sense though.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I have wondered what the logic is in having electric bike lights powered by a dynamo, when there is a battery on board? My wife's Kalkhoff Agattu being a case.
All I can think is safety for getting home in the dark after flattening the battery.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have wondered what the logic is in having electric bike lights powered by a dynamo, when there is a battery on board? My wife's Kalkhoff Agattu being a case.
All I can think is safety for getting home in the dark after flattening the battery.
It's because it was the law in Germany that you had to have a dynamo on all bicycles. I think that changed recently.

Reactions: Ocsid

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Ah yes ... the regular conflict of law vs logic.

Advertisers