E bike battery..

willcee

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2018
ulster
Perhaps I can pull on the collective knowledge hereabout to answer my issue, I'm about to get myself a mid motor for a machine I intend to build, its for off road estate work, so T/S 750w 48 v and I'm a tad worried about sourcing a China build quality battery, localish to me in Ulster there is a company who have emailed after I made contact about building me what I wanted.. 48v 17ish amp,But they require a case and a charger and details of the plug connections of the motor.. I would have no transport costs other than fuel to drive over and collect it , and if I had any issues with a duff pack or cells they are local for support.. whats involved?? I would like this battery to last a few days, mileages could be iro 25/30 a day sometimes laden , no big hills but hilly , the odd rocky paths, grass paths, but mostly on quarry dust well packed ,tarmac and concrete.. will

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Perhaps I can pull on the collective knowledge hereabout to answer my issue, I'm about to get myself a mid motor for a machine I intend to build, its for off road estate work, so T/S 750w 48 v and I'm a tad worried about sourcing a China build quality battery, localish to me in Ulster there is a company who have emailed after I made contact about building me what I wanted.. 48v 17ish amp,But they require a case and a charger and details of the plug connections of the motor.. I would have no transport costs other than fuel to drive over and collect it , and if I had any issues with a duff pack or cells they are local for support.. whats involved?? I would like this battery to last a few days, mileages could be iro 25/30 a day sometimes laden , no big hills but hilly , the odd rocky paths, grass paths, but mostly on quarry dust well packed ,tarmac and concrete.. will
Hi I would appreciate if you could give me the name of the company... Iive close to the border in Louth and would be happy to do business more locally ... If you don't want my to do published c you could private message me thanks...
Regarding your machine.. if it is working for only 1 hour at its 750 w it will have depleted the battery to which you refer...

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you explain the question? If I take what you ask at face value, the answer is send them a case and tell them what charger you plan to use, then pay them when it's done, but that's pretty obvious!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks for the info...did not know of their existence, so good to know.

Now your real problem is
1.what kind of vehicle are you intending to electrically power, ?
2. What weight is it ...and you and what weight do you plan to move
3. What type of terrain
4. How many hours usage between charges?
5. How fast do you expect to be moving

These are the kind of questions you need to provide ballpark figures for before any realistic calculations can be attempted.... You are free to answer these on this forum if you wish and I am sure you will get plenty of responses.

willcee

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2018
ulster
apologies if I have been unclear, its a steel Gazelle 531 I'm building, proposed mid motor, tong sheng 48v 750w, throttle and pedal assist, weights...bike should be iro 16/18 kg, dependant on battery weight, I'm 95 kg, range would be iro 25/30 mls mixed surface but mostly hard pack or tarmac, concrete, average speed dependant on wind, from 8mph to 16 mph. no really steep or mile long hills but lumpy terrain, short sharp climbs.. I don't yet have a charger, nor a case, so i'm here asking the experienced users for their real world advice.. would like to be able to use the power over 3/ 4 hours and can be charged overnight as necessary..so what power do I require in the battery.. everything else on hold, all here except engine and batt, until i get this sorted will

D

Deleted member 4366

That's nice and easy then. you need a 12Ah 48v battery with 30Q cells that will be in a 13S4P configuration. The case needs to be a frame-mount one. The only question is where to get it from. Any reputable ebike battery supplier has them, but the price varies from one to another. Eclipse Bikes have them in the UK when they have stock, otherwise there's Luna or Em3ev:

https://lunacycle.com/48v-18650-ebike-battery-pack/
https://em3ev.com/shop/?prod_cat_=ebike-battery-in-case
http://eclipsebikes.com/index.php?cPath=30_31&osCsid=d6995bfd42d08fb65b3aa8973b7cb5ac

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
apologies if I have been unclear, its a steel Gazelle 531 I'm building, proposed mid motor, tong sheng 48v 750w, throttle and pedal assist, weights...bike should be iro 16/18 kg, dependant on battery weight, I'm 95 kg, range would be iro 25/30 mls mixed surface but mostly hard pack or tarmac, concrete, average speed dependant on wind, from 8mph to 16 mph. no really steep or mile long hills but lumpy terrain, short sharp climbs.. I don't yet have a charger, nor a case, so i'm here asking the experienced users for their real world advice.. would like to be able to use the power over 3/ 4 hours and can be charged overnight as necessary..so what power do I require in the battery.. everything else on hold, all here except engine and batt, until i get this sorted will
Well that changes everything.

My previous reading was leading me to expect as a worst case some sort of quad tractor...hauling tree trunks up boreens
D8vh will no doubt give excellent advice
My sense of the NI company you listed , and I might be totally wrong, is that they are battery rebuilders probably linked with the construction industry eg . Power tools and fork lifts maybe mobility scooters and are not yet big into the ebike area. They likely need a defective battery with all its ancillary parts working for kit .. case battery management system and charger . Their expertise would be in sourcing the cells and spot welding. .. just like motor rewinds but different.
If that is the case you need to source your initial kit elsewhere.

appaddy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 29, 2018
Gloucester
Hi all,

Just got a new kunteng lcd1 dashboard but not convinced the pas settings are correct. All connectors are tightly closed but I have now power to the motor. This is from both the twist throttle and pas sensor (which is lit up when peddling). My kit was from panda e bikes and is a 250W 36V 10amp battery. Have had to adjust pas 5 from 12 to 0 already(after tadvice) to get the battery power to show.

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi all,

Just got a new kunteng lcd1 dashboard but not convinced the pas settings are correct. All connectors are tightly closed but I have now power to the motor. This is from both the twist throttle and pas sensor (which is lit up when peddling). My kit was from panda e bikes and is a 250W 36V 10amp battery. Have had to adjust pas 5 from 12 to 0 already(after tadvice) to get the battery power to show.

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance
Most likely, you have the wrong wire sequence on the connector. Make sure it goes red to red and black to black.

appaddy

Jan 29, 2018
Gloucester
Most likely, you have the wrong wire sequence on the connector. Make sure it goes red to red and black to black.
Thanks but all connectors are correct. Connections are such that on,y the colour blind could wire 5he wrong

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks but all connectors are correct. Connections are such that on,y the colour blind could wire 5he wrong
I'd check again. Maybe you have temporary colour blindness. That's the only way the PAS can take out the throttle.

appaddy

Jan 29, 2018
Gloucester
Just double checked and it is not physically possible to connect them incorrectly . I do appreciate the help and quick responses tho

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What did you have prior to the LCD1 ?

appaddy

Jan 29, 2018
Gloucester
The same. But I got the replacement pas 5 was set to 12. Tech support got me to change it to 0 to get the battery power to display as it didn’t when I first connected it. Was hopeful that one of the other pas settings was set wrong

D

Deleted member 4366

Just double checked and it is not physically possible to connect them incorrectly . I do appreciate the help and quick responses tho
It is if the wires are in the connector in the wrong sequence.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
willcee,
i`m in the same neck of the woods as yourself, my advice is go to Insat in london and speak to a guy called Jimmy, they have built many 48v 17.5 ah for forum users including myself with genuine cells, you`ll have it at your door inside a week.
I`ve looked at that Belfast store and to be honest you dont know what cells they use plus you have to faff about providing a case and charger etc.
Do a search for Insat on this forum for more info.

(btw i replied to your first post re. conversion build)

willcee

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2018
ulster
Thats a decent all over amount of info without doubt, one question that's interested me...in my build I was considering a rack mounted battery, yet here I'm suggested a frame fit, as an builder and competitor in an earlier life in competition cars I understand weight distribution , & mid frame would be OK with me, I had though more of traction, as a 1 horse motor would likely have some decent torque at least that's what I'm aiming at as at my weight a 250w isn't going to be much cop compared to someone of 60kg.. will 12 amp be enough? and what is the significance of 30Q cells in a13S4P Configuration please..and do i need to upgrade the controller and if so which?? will

D

Deleted member 4366

13S4P 30Q cells =(13 x 3.7v 3AH ) x 4 = 48.1v and 12AH

30Q = Samsung high discharge rate cell.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thats a decent all over amount of info without doubt, one question that's interested me...in my build I was considering a rack mounted battery, yet here I'm suggested a frame fit, as an builder and competitor in an earlier life in competition cars I understand weight distribution , & mid frame would be OK with me, I had though more of traction, as a 1 horse motor would likely have some decent torque at least that's what I'm aiming at as at my weight a 250w isn't going to be much cop compared to someone of 60kg.. will 12 amp be enough? and what is the significance of 30Q cells in a13S4P Configuration please..and do i need to upgrade the controller and if so which?? will
60 kg is feather weight! I'm about 80 kg at the moment (christmas, bad weather stopping me from getting out, other excuses...) A 250W motor can give 1 HP equivalent 746W at 48v x 15 A give or take an Amp and 36v x 20 A. My 15 A controller gives just over that, if you look at the sticker most are rated for a value + or - 1 Amp. At the moment I am experimenting with 48v and it is a night and day difference with 36v - 33% more power in fact. The motor even runs quieter than with 36v!

The high discharge d8veh is speaking of above is 15 A per 30Q cell so 4 in parallel = 60 A total potential discharge. With a 15 Amp controller and each cell providing 1/4 of that = 3.75 Amps so it won't heat or struggle to provide that continuously over a long period of time. Common cheap batteries often have Samsung 26F cells which are rated at 5.25 Amps which is approx. 1/3 of the discharge of the 30Q and so they struggle on hills. They are great flat land batteries though.

Hope that is clear?

Advertisers