E-bike with motors greater than 250w, speeds above 15mph and the UK police

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
That's exactly what I am thinking.

As for the motor, this 1500w bike is pretty cheap at about 800 pounds. I think most 500w bikes cost thereabout, so why not purchase one with a more powerful motor instead. Does that make sense? Am I missing something?

EDIT: It just occurred to me that 48v * 17a = 816watt. Does this mean that I require two of these batteries for a motor which is rated 1500w?
I am thinking of the weight of the very big battery you would need for that 1500W motor to go any distance at 30mph. And your brakes and bike frame would need to be VERY GOOD to handle it all.Believe me, you can have loads of fun and miles with a geared 350W motor going up to 20mph and carry a spare 10A battery in a rucksack for a 60+ mile range. Simples!

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

The Cyclamatic is 20kg and I can easily carry it around (indoors or up the stairs). 25-30kg is not that bad.

What do you think of this kit? (https://www.thesmallgreenroom.com/product-page/1500w-electric-bike-kit-including-52w-21ah-battery-and-our-121-build-assistance)
Get a couple of carrier bags and fill them up with dirt with 5kg in each. Hang them on your Cyclamatic and see how easy it is to pick up.

If you want to ride around at 35 mph, that kit will be great, but how are you going to do that without getting caught. There's a couple of comments i'd make about it. 50 mph is very optimistic. I think they mean downhill with the wind behind you. 40 mph would be more like it. Secondly, the motor takes a free-wheel, so you're limited to 7 speed and you'll have to hunt out a DNP one with 11T top gear. Their ad shows a 14T freewheel with a 42T chainwheel. That wouldn't work at all, you wouldn't be able to pedal it. I modified my Cyclamatic to 33 mph, and with the Cyclamatic gearing, it was virtually impossible to pedal. You'd need a 52T chainwheel and 11T top gear to have any chance of keeping up with the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I already have a legal e-bike (Cyclamatic C1, 250watt) and the difference in speed between myself and other cyclists is noticeable.

My main reason for getting a new, 1500w, bike is that it'll have better acceleration, in addition to greater top speed. But the main selling point for me is acceleration.

@Gubbins I live in Hull and there are no bike shops in the area that sell e-bikes.

EDIT: Also, it is my understanding that unless you set the bike to the maxium assistance level to, you can't do 30mph. Is that correct?
There is a choice of e-bike shops in York it would be worth the journey.

• Informative

Advertisers