E-bikes are great

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
So I'm on the edge of the North York Moors, and I had a little ride into the moors this morning and was just struck how much fun it is on an e-bike. Cycling up one of the long hills , I caught up with a Lycra clad road cyclist and it just looked like really hard work, whereas I could do this in normal clothes and I was getting some exercise but it wasn't killing me. The sun was out and the little single track roads were deserted and it was super fun

The 27 mph was going down a steep hill I hasten to point out. I had a look at the profile

There's no way I'm doing that on an analogue bike and it estimated it would take twice the time, and I would be knackered when I came back.
(This was on a 48v hub bike with a 15 amp controller - s o hub bikes can do hills !)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So I'm on the edge of the North York Moors, and I had a little ride into the moors this morning and was just struck how much fun it is on an e-bike. Cycling up one of the long hills , I caught up with a Lycra clad road cyclist and it just looked like really hard work, whereas I could do this in normal clothes and I was getting some exercise but it wasn't killing me. The sun was out and the little single track roads were deserted and it was super fun

View attachment 56122
The 27 mph was going down a steep hill I hasten to point out. I had a look at the profile

View attachment 56123

There's no way I'm doing that on an analogue bike and it estimated it would take twice the time, and I would be knackered when I came back.
(This was on a 48v hub bike with a 15 amp controller - s o hub bikes can do hills !)
It's nice to go out on an electric bike for exercise, countryside and fresh air. The experience gets raised to the next level on a road bike, the same as running. Endorphins and dopamine get released, which give you a sort of zen experience for your hard work.

" Neurotransmitters are released when you exercise – including endorphins, endocannabinoids, and dopamine – that create the feel good factor. This in turn can help with any feelings of depression or anxiety people might be experiencing"

• Informative
Reactions: throwawaychap

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Reminds me that I passed a lycra clad racer at traffic lights. I was giving it all all I could just as lights changed from red to green as I wizzed past. Yeah it's fun. Nice hobby or commute. I'm so much fitter now and having just passed 1000miles on the bike, and in on for a tidy saving on travel.
Very relaxing especially passing the rows of cars going in nowhere. I don't miss that...
Can't wait for summer and the cool morning rides to work. I must look at bike ride tracking apps.
Must be great on moors.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I get overtaken by lycra clad roadies all the time. They're usually whizzing past at about 22mph+, but it never happens uphill :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and Wayners

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It's nice to go out on an electric bike for exercise, countryside and fresh air. The experience gets raised to the next level on a road bike, the same as running. Endorphins and dopamine get released, which give you a sort of zen experience for your hard work.

" Neurotransmitters are released when you exercise – including endorphins, endocannabinoids, and dopamine – that create the feel good factor. This in turn can help with any feelings of depression or anxiety people might be experiencing"
Well my heart rate did get to 169 bpm so I was maybe trying harder than I realised ! You get loads of road cyclists from teeside in the "less hilly" (all relative) areas between the North York Moors and Dales but it is very unusual to see them in that part of the North York Moors where it is all steep hills with frequent 15% , 20% and 25% hill signs. Not sure if there is a limit as to what is sensible on a road bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well my heart rate did get to 169 bpm so I was maybe trying harder than I realised ! You get loads of road cyclists from teeside in the "less hilly" (all relative) areas between the North York Moors and Dales but it is very unusual to see them in that part of the North York Moors where it is all steep hills with frequent 15% , 20% and 25% hill signs. Not sure if there is a limit as to what is sensible on a road bike.
I think they like a challenge. We have the infamous Lincoln Hill here in Ironbrige. On a summer day there are always hoards of road-bikers going up it rather than taking the easier routes.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Advertisers