Ebike and scooters make cycle lanes unsafe.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They have a serious infrastructure problem it seems. But I had read elsewhere that there was a massive investment in infrastructure underway. The problem could be solved if they closed more roads to cars...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They have a serious infrastructure problem it seems. But I had read elsewhere that there was a massive investment in infrastructure underway. The problem could be solved if they closed more roads to cars...
Not so, they've got a fantastic cycling infrastructure and their cars have long been very restricted.

The problem began when they accepted the S class high speed e-bikes and permitted them and mopeds to use the cycling provisions.

That was frankly stupid and the outcome doesn't surprise.

Their ordinary 25 kph pedelecs have not been a problem.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have fond memories of borrowing a bike from a Dutch friend I was staying with in Haarlem and riding it from there to Amsterdam, a great ride with a whole crowd of Dutch people on their bikes and being very impressed with the bike infrastructure but amazed at how busy the cycle lanes were and that is way back in the early 80's, so if they have got a lot busier they must be like a scene from logan's run.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I also remember reading somewhere that the spike in deaths of ebike cyclists in Holland was mostly for much older people who had been tempted back to cycling and then fallen off with much less resilience to the blunt trauma injuries they received.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also remember reading somewhere that the spike in deaths of ebike cyclists in Holland was mostly for much older people who had been tempted back to cycling and then fallen off with much less resilience to the blunt trauma injuries they received.
I also read that but frankly don't believe it. The elderly have always cycled there in large numbers and their traditional bike is known as an Omafiets (grandma's bike).

They even have specific names for the bike types for various elderly people.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I also read that but frankly don't believe it. The elderly have always cycled there in large numbers and their traditional bike is known as an Omafiets (grandma's bike).

They even have specific names for the bike types for various elderly people.
I consider mine to be een opafiets.

Reactions: flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Had an ******* today.

I’m climbing up a city hill.

Note city. I appreciate Its not the dales. But I get to the neck and a car is coming. I clearly had right of way. It would have taken him in his audi or bmw four seconds to wait and obey the laws. He kept going so did I. He finally stopped and said ‘you are a lucky man’ I said you’re not. Booted his car gave it a dent.

I then went home a different way. Just in case. Don’t want to die etc.

Twat.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
You have my sympathy. Bollarded pinch points seem designed to produce friction between bike riders and cars. I always have to remember to look over my shoulder a number of times on approach and then make a decision about when not if I am going to move out to stop any car trying to squeeze between me and the bollards.

I find this the safest approach but there are still some car drivers that find my method antagonistic and make a point of zooming past me afterwards or following me through the gap too close or both.

Most car drivers are reasonably considerate but some are quite the opposite. The last time I was knocked of my bike was by an Audi driver. I also put a satisfying dent in his car, but with my body, ouch. I did make a successful personal injury claim against him as well as making the Police who wanted to drop the case take it further and they let me know that he had to pay to go on a police driving awareness course of some type that I hope he would have needed to declare to his insurance company, and more importantly made him think a bit more about cyclist.

Reactions: Fingers and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Had an ******* today.

I’m climbing up a city hill.

Note city. I appreciate Its not the dales. But I get to the neck and a car is coming. I clearly had right of way. It would have taken him in his audi or bmw four seconds to wait and obey the laws. He kept going so did I. He finally stopped and said ‘you are a lucky man’ I said you’re not. Booted his car gave it a dent.

I then went home a different way. Just in case. Don’t want to die etc.

Twat.
The driver may have been a 'Twat' but you have probably antagonised him even more now by an act of criminal damage to his car. Likely hood is he will be on the look out for you in the coming months on that particular route you both appear to use or may even take it out on an unsuspecting innocent cyclist.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat and flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
The driver may have been a 'Twat' but you have probably antagonised him even more now by an act of criminal damage to his car. Likely hood is he will be on the look out for you in the coming months on that particular route you both appear to use or may even take it out on an unsuspecting innocent cyclist.

Its London. I will never see him again in 7 lifetimes.

I'd like to think it's taught him a lesson. A 700 quid lesson. Next time he might think twice before being aggressive to a cyclist.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You have my sympathy. Bollarded pinch points seem designed to produce friction between bike riders and cars. I always have to remember to look over my shoulder a number of times on approach and then make a decision about when not if I am going to move out to stop any car trying to squeeze between me and the bollards.

I find this the safest approach but there are still some car drivers that find my method antagonistic and make a point of zooming past me afterwards or following me through the gap too close or both.

Most car drivers are reasonably considerate but some are quite the opposite. The last time I was knocked of my bike was by an Audi driver. I also put a satisfying dent in his car, but with my body, ouch. I did make a successful personal injury claim against him as well as making the Police who wanted to drop the case take it further and they let me know that he had to pay to go on a police driving awareness course of some type that I hope he would have needed to declare to his insurance company, and more importantly made him think a bit more about cyclist.
This is the major reason why I won't ride a bike without a rear view mirror, and always use it. It makes a huge difference, meaningI never get pinched in this way. And that's not just by giving way, far from it. Very often when I see the impending threat I move out so far to control the road that they have to slow right down.

Of course it's not just the arrogant or thoughtless driver who's the trouble. There are many who obviously have difficulty in judging speed and distance accurately enough in time so make mistakes.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016

I always cycle very defensively. I'm not looking to break speed records, just get safely from a to b. And most drivers are great and considerate but every now and again you get an idiot. Hence always looking over my shoulder and everywhere else!

Glad to hear you are alright. Hope the pay out was decent and yes, I hope the idiot did learn some basic road awareness down to your misfortune.

Reactions: Nefarious

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Its London. I will never see him again in 7 lifetimes.

I'd like to think it's taught him a lesson. A 700 quid lesson. Next time he might think twice before being aggressive to a cyclist.
No what you did was stoke the fire
I understand he was in the wrong but criminal damage didn’t make it right
The driver will probably have it in for cyclists even more now

• Agree
Reactions: Steed and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Advertisers