eBike-specific, main battery-powered front light

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I thought that, in the UK, there is a max wattage for headlamp bulbs. But, having just looked, I see all sorts of crazy powers available. I live in Ceredigion near the Brecon Beacons, famed for it' dark skys. No wonder I'm getting blinded on the lanes. Not least of the problem is people running those bumper lights that are only meant for daylight fog. I call 'em ego lights.
So I'm not too concerned about my bike light being on the bright side. If the driver dips his lights I push it round the bars slightly.
The same number of watts as for a normal car headlight bulb outputs ten (10) times more light when fed into a LED... :eek:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yeh, I'm aware. That's what pisses me of so much about led headlights. The gov's going to have to come up with some way of specifying the maximum something or other for these bulbs. Good luck with that!

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
There will soon be a directive limiting the power of car LED headlights. Being short term blinded by low beam LED headlights is a thing and can last from 30 seconds to a minute! That can cause a lot of damage at 80 km/h on a twisy country road. Until now car headlights have a minimum lux/lumen output fixed by law but there was no maximum and some car designers have gone slightly overboard...
There is no magic beams in LED's that is different to ordinary bulbs or xenon, only the lumen output and color temperature. Running 4000K daylight LED's would be a little blinding and to be fair it is tricky getting warm (2700k) LED lights for either cars or bikes, but they are around. I'll bet any legislation ignores this more important criteria of colour temperature.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There is no magic beams in LED's that is different to ordinary bulbs or xenon, only the lumen output and color temperature. Running 4000K daylight LED's would be a little blinding and to be fair it is tricky getting warm (2700k) LED lights for either cars or bikes, but they are around. I'll bet any legislation ignores this more important criteria of colour temperature.
There are magic beams in (some) LED headlamps - cleverly directed beams from a matrix of emitters. :):) Have no idea what actually happens inside my headlamps but they do some fancy self-adjustments and work pretty well. No idea, though, how much they affect oncoming drivers.

When I bought a new LED torch, a couple of years ago, I specifically chose one with a very natural colour. Far too many are either dull yellow or hideously blue. Although capable of high intensity, I am very pleased that even at low output the well-chosen colour balance seems to make it far more effective than lights with poor colour balance.

I do very much agree that colour should be a part of the legislative requirements.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
D'oh! I forget to click the 'Buy' button & when I went back, the B&M light was out of stock. I've gone for an Axa one of 50 lux. It should arrive just in time for my change of shifts which will soon see me riding home in the dark.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/axa-blueline-50-e6-led-e-bike-headlights-503177
Hmmm, please take your unrelated conversation elsewhere guys, thanks.

I rode home last week in the dark, but I'm not sure I can give a recommendation based on that ride. It was on familiar roads and paths, so I had that advantage, but it was also very drizzly and my glasses got misted up badly enough to stop and clean them twice on the ride.

I was riding along at 15-20MPH, and the light was adequate in those conditions, but not outstanding. I wouldn't want to go any faster, especially on unfamiliar roads. There is a good spread of light and the way was lit up well, but my B&M dynamo light is definitely brighter - but it is 60Lux.

It's good enough and it wasn't expensive is the best I can say.

Advertisers