Electric bike, battery assisted or motorised ?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi...I've just renewed my household insurance.
In the schedule my ebike is listed under specified items as...

"mens bike, Kalkhoff sahel harmony battery assisted"

The policy booklet states "motorised pedal cycles" are NOT insured.

So even though I've paid for it to be insured...It's not.

Anyone any views on this ?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
cheers for that, I was holding off in the hope of obtaining a bit more info or maybe ringing another company although I suspect they're all much of a sameness...the devils in the detail :)
....Mike

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I cannot find and home insurance company that will insure an ebike on a contents policy.
Saga say they will not insure any pedal cycle with a motor,
Barclays say, No cover provided for pedal cycles with a motor,
I never even got to ask the question with Rias...
....I have lived in my present property for over 40 years, I've never had a claim, either for property or motoring.
You know why Rias don't want my business, home and contents and 2 motor policies ?...It's because, at the rear of my property, I have a small deck covered by 6'x3' roof , made from polycarbonate sheets...not allowed !!!
If I step outside my property line I can see 3 huge carports covered by corregated plastic sheets....are these insured ?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
None of them seem to want to cover e bikes on their standard contents policies. It's probably the curse if the unknown which insurers fear more than anything.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I looked into this a few years ago. Most companies excluded anything propelled by a motor but Nationwide was one policy I found to specifically include them. Their definition of a bicycle is:

'Bicycle
Any bicycle including electrically powered models, (but not wind assisted models) belonging to you, and its accessories.'

They are also more generous in covering other other powered vehicles:
a) ride-on lawnmowers;
b) electrically powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters;
c) electrically powered children’s ride on toys;
d) electrically assisted bicycles;
e) pectrically powered golf trolleys'

They do state a limit of £1000 per bicycle, but I would expect they might increase this for extra payment, if required. Not quite sure what they mean by 'wind assisted models', but I don't think it's a Pedelec!

Nationwide Home Insurance Policy Document

Reactions: Mike63

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for that "jhruk" most informative....looks good
I will ring Saga tomorrow and if they will not reconsider on my Kalkhoff, I will hopefully go with Nationwide.
As long as I'm insured I'm not too bothered about the value,
...I can live with £1000 cover on my bike, I rarely leave it for more than 10 minutes and I use a good lock,
cheers....Mike

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Rider eats a lot of baked beans?
I think the wind assisted models would be the ones you see on the beach land yachting or whatever it is called!

For what it is worth... I have taken out bike insurance since getting my ebike. - Specific cycle insurance. This means that if I crash into t car, the car has not been hit by an uninsured party, they can claim against my insurance to get fixed if it is my fault - it's only fair if we expect that of cars isn't it? I have covered 4 bikes for the year for £180.
This may seem like a lot to you, but if your bike gets stolen, do you want the premium to go up on just your bike insurance or the whole house and contents while they get the money back?

I got insured by ETA. They insure bikes only and cover ebikes happily no questions asked as a matter of course within the insurance. The cover also allows you to use your bike(s) in races and triathlon events should you so wish/be able. Also have AA equivalent cover included in this for my bike - now that's handy on a long rural commute!

https://www.eta.co.uk/insurance/cycle/what-we-cover/

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I think the wind assisted models would be the ones you see on the beach land yachting or whatever it is called!

For what it is worth... I have taken out bike insurance since getting my ebike. - Specific cycle insurance. This means that if I crash into t car, the car has not been hit by an uninsured party, they can claim against my insurance to get fixed if it is my fault - it's only fair if we expect that of cars isn't it? I have covered 4 bikes for the year for £180.
This may seem like a lot to you, but if your bike gets stolen, do you want the premium to go up on just your bike insurance or the whole house and contents while they get the money back?

I got insured by ETA. They insure bikes only and cover ebikes happily no questions asked as a matter of course within the insurance. The cover also allows you to use your bike(s) in races and triathlon events should you so wish/be able. Also have AA equivalent cover included in this for my bike - now that's handy on a long rural commute!

https://www.eta.co.uk/insurance/cycle/what-we-cover/
Like to see a bicycle land yacht.

No this bike is powered by beans.

"What do you run on Rocket Morton? Beans! What kind of beans? Laser beans!"

His Captain went to the great gig in the sky a few years ago though.

Advertisers