electrifying adult trike for carrying 2 kids

percypop

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2015
Anyone done this ? or can advise on choice?

Am looking at Trikadoo and Paishley to buy 2nd hand and convert ...maybe front wheel hub best ?/

discuss!!

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
I fitted a Bafang BBS01 to a Pashley Trike and it is Great. It is the larger frame and works really well. I looked at doing a Front hub however that would mean losing the roller brake and as there are no rear brakes I decided against that. If you are making a multi seater then braking will be the issue, when turning on a 3 wheeler if you have a single wheel at the front, then you have to be very careful about getting the speed down as they can tip easily if you try to turn to quickly at speed.

Good Luck,

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
We may be putting our Velo Electrique cargo trike up for sale shortly, we're located on the South Coast

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

percypop

Sep 26, 2015
We may be putting our Velo Electrique cargo trike up for sale shortly, we're located on the South Coast
hello can you send info about velo elec?
not heard of it before ....know Trikidoo and pashley but..

percypop

Sep 26, 2015
I fitted a Bafang BBS01 to a Pashley Trike and it is Great. It is the larger frame and works really well. I looked at doing a Front hub however that would mean losing the roller brake and as there are no rear brakes I decided against that. If you are making a multi seater then braking will be the issue, when turning on a 3 wheeler if you have a single wheel at the front, then you have to be very careful about getting the speed down as they can tip easily if you try to turn to quickly at speed.

Good Luck,
Understand your point about turning dangers

more concerned about wheel spin on frontwheel and loss of power since all weight is at the centre +back?????where did you fit your motor midships or b/wheel?
Paul

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
The BBS01 is a centre bracket (Crank drive) replacement. It is very easy to fit (don't forget the extension lead for the speed sensor if twin rear wheel) and it works great.
As it drives the rear wheel there is no slip, on my wife's I do lift the wheel when cornering and for fun I ride it on two wheels, keeping the driven one on the deck. The wife and grandkids all love it. When we were in France on the Ile de Ré recently the number of people asking "where we rented" the trike was amazing, I'm surprised there is not more of a market for adult trikes.
I would go for one with the two wheels at the front and a single rear wheel as I think they are safer, a' la Morgan. If you are near the channel tunnel give me a call, you can have a go on ours :)

Advertisers