Eva XH5 or XiPi Diamondback or Other ?

Jonny5isalivetm

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2013
Belfast, Norn Iron
Hi all :)

Greetings

Considering purchasing my first e-bike and I have been going over pros and cons..

I took a test ride recently on a Eva XH5 Bosch crank bike and while it was nice it had no throttle being a bosch, but all this was new to me :D

Could the XH5 be modded to also accept a hub motor, or do crank + hub combo simply not work ?

Could I change the cassette on the XH5 for a higher top end ? It also has a dongle but are all dongles equal ?

I like the sound of the Xipi Ridgeback x04 due to the 2500watt motor and throttle..

Could you guys n gals give me pros and cons so I may make my choice :confused:

Jonny

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Jonny I see you have joined

It is monday in the Xipi workshop I am up and working Welcom to the fourm

I am biulding a Ridgeback X04 this week so will have photos soon

Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

You could install a complete front hub-motor kit on the Ave XH5 to double the power. You'd need an additional battery, a controller, throttle and motor. The new Q100H from BMSBattery should be a good match because it can spin faster than 20mph and it's very light. You'd have to have a battery on a rack or a frog-type battery. Cost would be about £400.

If you have the ability to fit such a kit, surely it would be better to convert a non-electric bike with a more powerful single motor, twin hub-motors or a more powerful crank motor so that you'd only need one battery.

D

Deleted member 4366

Would the XH5 require a front hub or would rear be possible ?

MagicPie3 Third Generation Hub Motor sounds interesting..

What is the output of the Q100H at peak ?

26" or 29" wheels is it simply personal choice ?
I wouldn't fit a rear motor as the crank-drive is already powering the rear. You could have problems with traction.

The output of the Q100H depends on how fast you're going and how much power you put in. It's rated at 360w, so I expect that it can give about 500w output at about 15mph if you give it about 750w input.

The XH5 has 26" wheels. You can't change practically change them for 29" wheels. If you want to change so much, sell the bike and get one like you want.

Jonny5isalivetm

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2013
Belfast, Norn Iron
Regarding the wheel size query I meant if I bought a bike with 29" wheels are they generally better than 26" wheeled machine ?

What is the maximum power you could fit to a front hub bike ?

Thanks for replies :>

D

Deleted member 4366

Regarding the wheel size query I meant if I bought a bike with 29" wheels are they generally better than 26" wheeled machine ?

What is the maximum power you could fit to a front hub bike ?

Thanks for replies :>
It depends what you want to do with it. 29" might be better for off-road. Don't forget that it increases the speed and reduces the torque by 11%. A 250w motor is safe on most forks if installed properly. You can go as high as 500w if you install it properly and use two torque arms. A big motor on the front can affect your steering, so it's best to keep to small ones. If you want high power, stick it on the back.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Morning Jonny,

If I were you, I'd try for a go on someone's 29er before deciding: Mine rides way nicer than my 26er on roads, tracks & trails, but it's not as agile on singletrack & increases the bar height under your cruet significantly.

Not using mine on serious offroad stuff - I've got a bouncer for that - I have zero standover clearance.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

Advertisers