Fat people discrimination

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Choice involves discrimination. Discriminate means to evaluate choices so that you can select the appropriate one - the same as when you discriminate between all your choices of ebikes before you select the one you want.

When you say that you select the best prospective employee, what's best? is it the one with the highest capability to do the job, the highest qualifications to do the job or the one that's likely to do the job best? There's so many things to consider. Will they fit in with existing employees or will they be a disruptive influence? How much time are they likely to take off and can you tolerate it? How flexible are they likely to be with their hours when you know that you need a certain amount of flexibility. Whilst their sex doesn't necessarily affect any of these, it might indirectly.
I think this is needless semantics to avoid the nub* of the matter tbh

You know the difference between choice and discrimination really. And the point over what defines "best" is pure distraction technique (can't fault your application though :)

Choice is choosing the high quality candidate over the useless one. Discrimination is choosing the black candidate over the white one when all else is equal (or indeed the other way round)

*my predictive text insists on this being "hub" I wonder why ?!

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Agree with sentiments of thread but just food for thought...
I weigh errr 105kg Was once on a,Ryan Air flight( which I,d paid £9).The extremely petit lady behind me who weighed at most 50 kg had to pay £20 excess baggage charge because her 10kg allowed bag weighed 12kg...( Mine was 9kg)
My all up weight...114kg plus clothes...hers at most 62kg...( plus clothes)
Perhaps we should buy air tickets based on weight ???

Reactions: tillson and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think this is needless semantics to avoid the nub* of the matter tbh

You know the difference between choice and discrimination really. And the point over what defines "best" is pure distraction technique (can't fault your application though :)

Choice is choosing the high quality candidate over the useless one. Discrimination is choosing the black candidate over the white one when all else is equal (or indeed the other way round)

*my predictive text insists on this being "hub" I wonder why ?!
Not to mention choosing the under 35 candidate for a job instead of the over 60 one with reams of experience...

Advertisers