Faulty 250w hub motor - help or advise required

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Hi all

I have a 14 month old Dillenger 250/350w front wheel street kit that did 1800 miles and the hub motor has now failed on me, Dillenger have been kind enough to help me out however it is out of warranty so I am going to buy another motor very soon.

I have replaced the controller with one I purchased and another that dillenger kindly sent in case the first one did not work. I had I little bit of life out of the motor but it was short lived (error 3), I believe and this is pure speculation on my part but I read about water causing voltage resistance within the hall sensors. No one near me is willing to service the motor and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to fix the problem or anyone who could fix the problem or anyone who would take it off my hands when I purchase a new one and make some use of it. It seems a shame to waste it!

Many thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 4366

The easiest way is by using a sensorless controller.

Hall sensors cost next to nothing, and they're sometimes easy to replace and other times impossible.

You don't have to guess what's wrong with your motor, but if we had to guess, I'd say that there's nothing wrong with it.

You can easily test the hall sensors as long as you can get at the connections. If you have those waterproof moulded connectors, you can make a test adaptor by cutting off the connector from a duff controller and separate the wires. Test by applying 5v to the red wire using black as the negative, then measure the voltage between each of the other three and the ground while turning the motor slowly backwards. You should see the 5v switch on and off as the wheel rotates.

Show us what you have if you can't figure out how to do that and test the halls.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Thank you very much for the response.

You seem extremely more technically minded than I, what your saying only sort of makes sense.

I do have a dummy/duff controller and I think my connectors are moulded "julet" is stamped on them, but that's about as much as I can figure out so far, and I do not have any access to a volt meter or how to use one without buying one. I am currently away from my bike and my increasing pile of spare parts but as soon I get back to them I will photo as much as I can, is there a limit on how much you can upload picture wise??

D

Deleted member 4366

You have an increasing pile of spare parts because you didn't find out what was wrong before guessing what parts you might need. That pile will continue to grow until you get to the cause of your bike's malfunction.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I couldn't agree more d8veh - I have had an idea, motor they want to send me from dillenger will need swapping with my existing motor as they do not have a wheel in my size in stock - I did not know how easy it is to take apart and look inside - do you know any good youtube videos to watch on repairing hall sensors or checking the insides??Duff controller.jpg Hub motor.jpg Julet from motor.jpg Motor side.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need to look inside, You can check everything from the outside. The easiest way is with an e-bike tester:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-24V-36V-48V-60V-Electro-Car-E-bike-Vehicle-Brushless-Tester-24V-to-60V-/253153166097?hash=item3af11ac311:g:dMoAAOSw4i5ZumWn

You need an adaptor which you make from a a spare female 9-pin connector with a short length of cable. Strip back the cable, cut the block connector for the halls off the tester and join the wires. They're the same colours, so it's easy to see which is which.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Oh dear too late.. I needed to see how it came apart if I was to purchase the one dillenger have lined up for me to see If I was capable of DIYing it.

However my friend is back from working away and his e-bike has a 250w bafang 8fun rear motor on it and luckily it had the same julet connectors as mine, so we hooked it up to my 3 controllers and it worked, with a full test of the throttle and the PAS.

Now the motor inside had signs of cable wear on the small red wire, and it was exposed in several places. I couldn't tell you if I saw any hall sensor just a small circuit board with the small cables running under it.

Do you have or know anyone who has a 250w front with julet connectors who is willing to sell?

And would you want my motor if you could make any use for it? I would only ask for just enough to cover postage as at the end of the day if I get a new one I will only try and scrap it or chuck it?

Advertisers