Fitness trackers

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Does anyone here have any advice on fitbit style trackers? I love using my timeline and google fit when out on my bike but just seen the huawei band 2 pro with built in GPS which seems interesting and would mean I could leave my phone at home for some peace. Anyone else used one or a similar one with built in GPS?

D

Deleted member 4366

The watches with GPS drain the battery quite fast, so are OK as long as you charge up before the ride. I have the Fitbit Ionic now, which is OK, but I preferred my previous Charge 2, which got the tracking from the phone and I found more convenient because I always take my phone with me.

I changed because I wanted to wear my watch in the shower and bath, and the Charge 2 isn't waterproof enough, but I didn't realise that the Ionic could only track from its own GPS. I should have got the Versa instead.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
The watches with GPS drain the battery quite fast, so are OK as long as you charge up before the ride. I have the Fitbit Ionic now, which is OK, but I preferred my previous Charge 2, which got the tracking from the phone and I found more convenient because I always take my phone with me.

I changed because I wanted to wear my watch in the shower and bath, and the Charge 2 isn't waterproof enough, but I didn't realise that the Ionic could only track from its own GPS. I should have got the Versa instead.

Also, if your using the phones GPS what's the benefit of having a wrist mounted tracker?

D

Deleted member 4366

Also, if your using the phones GPS what's the benefit of having a wrist mounted tracker?
It tracks your heartbeat. Before I got a Fitbit, I tried various heartbeat monitors with apps on my phone, but none of them worked. These health trackers do a lot of other useful things as well. I wouldn't want to be without mine now.

The heart monitoring is on on all the time, so you can see daily/weekly/monthly trends as well as what happened on your last bike ride. Even if those strap-on heart monitors worked, I wouldn't want to wear one all the time.

Regarding the battery, it goes for about 5 days without GPS or 10 hours with the GPS on. I can't understand why they didn't put the charge point on the outside. It's a real pain to have to take the watch off to charge it.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Didn't think about the hr monitor. I was just thinking about the map tracking and integration with google fit. I do like looking over my timeline in google maps. Kinda pointless but fun. As the huawei is so cheap I might give it a go. I've never been a watch wearer so might be a good first try.

bicky

Just Joined
May 10, 2018
BE
I use the Garmin vivoactive every day.
GPS drains 10% every hour.
That not that bad for heart rate, GPS and cadence.

Also very good for running and swimming

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
I use the Garmin vivoactive every day.
GPS drains 10% every hour.
That not that bad for heart rate, GPS and cadence.

Also very good for running and swimming
Does your Garmin link with google fit? Found old articles saying garmin doesn't play well with google fit but can't find anything recent to say whether its working now

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
One of the least expensive monitors is the Xiaomi Mi Band 2 - just over twenty quid. Got one to dip my toe in the water - and really am quite impressed.

Good battery life. Seems to perform OK within its capacity. Has what seems an effective heart rate measuring device. Does sleep monitoring.

The software works on my iPhone but is not spectacular. To get heart rate you have to press the button - on the band or in the app - not continuous.

Rumour is that the new 3 version will be out on Wednesday or thereabouts. Given my experience I'd certainly wait to see what they announce before making any decision. Partner and I have just been discussing and she is also interested - and waiting.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
OK, here's a question. If I get a Garmin device and that connects to strava, and my strava is connected to google fit does that mean my garmin data would be seen on google fit?

bicky

Just Joined
May 10, 2018
BE
Does your Garmin link with google fit? Found old articles saying garmin doesn't play well with google fit but can't find anything recent to say whether its working now
Not that I'm aware of
But don't see why you need Google fit.
Garmin connect is not that bad

D

Deleted member 4366

OK, here's a question. If I get a Garmin device and that connects to strava, and my strava is connected to google fit does that mean my garmin data would be seen on google fit?
That's a very complicated way of doing it. why don't you just download Sportstracker, then you get one app that does everything and costs nothing? I can't see any reason why someone would want to buy a Garmin device for bike rides.

if you want to analyse all your fitness info integrated with your bike rides. A Fitbit Charge 2 will do all that for a lot less than the cost of a Garmin too. they cost around £50 for a used one on Ebay.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
One of the least expensive monitors is the Xiaomi Mi Band 2 - just over twenty quid. Got one to dip my toe in the water - and really am quite impressed.

Good battery life. Seems to perform OK within its capacity. Has what seems an effective heart rate measuring device. Does sleep monitoring.

The software works on my iPhone but is not spectacular. To get heart rate you have to press the button - on the band or in the app - not continuous.

Rumour is that the new 3 version will be out on Wednesday or thereabouts. Given my experience I'd certainly wait to see what they announce before making any decision. Partner and I have just been discussing and she is also interested - and waiting.
I have this one, on the android app you can set the heart monitor frequency ~ mine is set to continuous. My only criticism is that the display is a little to dim.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I have this one, on the android app you can set the heart monitor frequency ~ mine is set to continuous. My only criticism is that the display is a little to dim.
Ah! Didn't realise you could do that. Must ferret around to see how.

The characters on-screen for date and time are truly tiny. But for other functions, they are bigger and it is fine.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
The only really annoying thing is when you wake up knackered and it tells you that you have had a good nights sleep.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Well just to update and give a bit of feedback. I bought the huawei band 2 pro. Really happy with it. Thought about the charge 2 but the huawei is fully waterproof and also built in GPS when needed, also half the price. Anyone with questions please ask away.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Well just to update and give a bit of feedback. I bought the huawei band 2 pro. Really happy with it. Thought about the charge 2 but the huawei is fully waterproof and also built in GPS when needed, also half the price. Anyone with questions please ask away.
I bought the Huawei band 2 pro also. £49 from Argos. I love a gadget and this one works really well in my opinion.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Yeah, got mine from there too. Just ordered some smart scales to add to the data gathering although I'm worried about stepping on them for the first time.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
I bought the Huawei band 2 pro also. £49 from Argos. I love a gadget and this one works really well in my opinion.
when i was out cycling on monday i was getting a german sounding voice giving my my ride times every Km. its never happened before and it didnt happen on my rides on tuesday or yesterday. do you know if its the huawei fitness app doing that? ive got strava installed too but its never done any voice stuff like that for me in the past.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
when i was out cycling on monday i was getting a german sounding voice giving my my ride times every Km. its never happened before and it didnt happen on my rides on tuesday or yesterday. do you know if its the huawei fitness app doing that? ive got strava installed too but its never done any voice stuff like that for me in the past.
Sorry - no idea. I actually don't use it when I'm cycling. I'm sure others would have some information

Advertisers