Fitting a Bafang (or other) motor into Bosch designed frame

Babsbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2019
I think there could be a significant market for Kalkhoff ( Duma ) motor replacements. I have perfectly good Kalkhoff Tasman which my wife uses but after the second replacement the third is showing signs of stress. I had given thought to replacing the motor/controller with something potentially more reliable. I can fabricate stuff ( I built my own track car ) and I know a master welder. However as has been pointed out post welding heat treatment is a significant issue so this really needs to be a bolt on via an adapter plate. No idea of the dimensions involved or the most suitable replacement. If I can find the time I could DIY but if there was a kit I would be first in line! Bearing Man?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I know a master welder. However as has been pointed out post welding heat treatment is a significant issue so this really needs to be a bolt on via an adapter plate.
Do you think that's really a problem? What's the worst thing that can happen? In ten years time, you might see a crack that needs re-welding.

Babsbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2019
Do you think that's really a problem? What's the worst thing that can happen? In ten years time, you might see a crack that needs re-welding.
I am not enough of a metalurgist to be able to forecast fatigue failures! However my central point was that a kit would be my preferred option, if such a thing existed, and that could only realistically be bolt on.

Advertisers