Flour, Bread and Cooking

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wouldn't want a gas or halogen hob. (Though I often have to use a gas hob.)

Gas tends to be uneven and cause hot pan handles. Plus, as it heats the sides of pans, foods "bake on" inside the pan.

Halogen or other non-induction hob is more expensive to run, heats the kitchen, and is more likely to end up with burned fingers, tea towels, dishcloths, etc.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
.. actually the Induction plate is less efficient than a radiant electric plate ..provided it has a suitable sized Pan . Whereas the size is irrelevant with induction . And of course my gas hob only uses a fraction of a watt to energise the ignitor
I sincerely doubt that a radiant electric plate is more efficient.

I'd accept that a well matched solid plate and induction will be closer than might initially appear. But the real world intervenes with pans which are not truly flat, or are not very close in size. In the way many people will turn a flat plate to full, see the pan get to boiling and not turn it down at the optimum point. In the large reservoir of remnant heat which exists in a solid plate when cooking has completed.

Further, in my experience of ceramic hobs, they are much slower to heat up themselves, and the pan. Leading to much longer start to finish cooking times and worse waste of energy.

Gas is a joke in terms of efficiency in itself. A huge amount of hot air and burned gas flows past the pan. It could only be regarded as a contender if taking into account the gas source to burner against whatever electricity generation to burner.

We actually noticed the electricity bill go down when we changed to induction.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Eddy currents are induced in any conductor - even non-ferromagnetic ones like aluminium.

One example is that a disc of aluminium is used as a brake in some large format printers. A coil near the disc induces currents, which induce magnetic fields, which react against the magnetic fields induced by the coil.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One year, I had grown such a heavy crop of courgettes that I didn't know what on earth to do with them. Even my neighbours were sick of courgettes. So I put them through my electric vegetable juicer and used that instead of water to make delicious glowing green incredible hulk bread. It's Ph didn't impede yeast growth. I'm about to do the same for the insane number of pumpkins from this year's harvest, for nutritious orange loaves. I'll post a pic or two, when I feel overwhelmed by my 45 remaining pumpkins, and start frantically juicing them to make space.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One could, like Robins, be able to detect magnetic North?
We could ask Oyster if his sense of direction has markedly improved, since he started cooking on induction.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
OK, lets make a wet weird warm somewhat dank British winter worse by telling me you were lounging a Thai beach somewhere? I think the problem with us first world citizens is that we can become narcissistic, imagine our bodies should cope with whatever lifestyle we choose. I learned that the hard way and offloaded some work demands
The reality of my grey drab cold miserable life, is far less illuminated. Adding "Sadly" to the beginning of the preceding sentence would appear to be overkill, but 'tis not. Sometimes when I have a complicated task to complete, it's best to do so in one long session, lest I not notice which plates have stopped spinning on poles.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wouldn't want a gas or halogen hob. (Though I often have to use a gas hob.)

Gas tends to be uneven and cause hot pan handles. Plus, as it heats the sides of pans, foods "bake on" inside the pan.

Halogen or other non-induction hob is more expensive to run, heats the kitchen, and is more likely to end up with burned fingers, tea towels, dishcloths, etc.
For versatility of cooking, IMHO you can't beat a gas hob - the only reason I went with a halogen hob were for reasons of efficiency, and pollution reduction in my home. If food sticks to your pots and pans, it's likely because your bases are too thin. Unfortunately, you have to spend a darn fortune to get even heat distribution, when cooking on gas. The American Metal Company (AMC) used to make hands down the best stainless steel cookware I have ever used. They're rare, and can only be bought used these days. They used to cost about 1.5k for a whole set:

Usually if your cast iron skillet is used on the right sized gas hob, iron's high heat conductivity is such that there should be no hotspots. If there are, you've bought a skillet which is too thin.

Out of curiosity, I get a small standalone induction hob. Hope it doesn't heat up my fillings.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No comment about Blair.. but about the iron or steel pans and induction heating causing magnetism in the pan. The induction magnetic field is in the order of 30KHz ..so is alternating at this rate. It needs a thick ferromagnetic material to induce sufficient eddy currents . Since the field reverses so rapidly there is no residual effect ... Very similar to those degaussing tools we used back in the day of magnetic tape recorders and shadow masked Colour CRT tubes.
I wonder how far strong magnetic fields extend? I'm thinking of effects on metal implants: pacemakers, plates in knees and wrists etc. A hot knee implant could singe clothing/ruin an ironed in trouser crease?

@oyster, do compass needles veer from magnetic North in close proximity to your pan bases?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I sincerely doubt that a radiant electric plate is more efficient.

I'd accept that a well matched solid plate and induction will be closer than might initially appear. But the real world intervenes with pans which are not truly flat, or are not very close in size. In the way many people will turn a flat plate to full, see the pan get to boiling and not turn it down at the optimum point. In the large reservoir of remnant heat which exists in a solid plate when cooking has completed.

Further, in my experience of ceramic hobs, they are much slower to heat up themselves, and the pan. Leading to much longer start to finish cooking times and worse waste of energy.

Gas is a joke in terms of efficiency in itself. A huge amount of hot air and burned gas flows past the pan. It could only be regarded as a contender if taking into account the gas source to burner against whatever electricity generation to burner.

We actually noticed the electricity bill go down when we changed to induction.
I've never used an induction hob, but normal electric rings without a metal cover, and halogen are the only two types (apart from gas flames), which will make Kefir unflatbreads puff to unflat status rapidly enough. It is possible to make them using a cast iron skillet, but it takes more time, and you won't get that delicious toasted flavour. I suppose one could puff them up and then very swiftly toast them under a very hot grill, one side at a time. You'd start on a medium heated skillet, plonk your Kefir flatbread on top, wait till you saw small bubbles forming, then flip it over... the bubbles will become bigger and more numerous, then the first side again - at this point it wil start to inflate, as the bubbles join; then swiftly hot grill to a squashed football shape/full ball shape. But it would have to be at very hottest grill setting. I's so much faster using gas or halogen, and they taste even better.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Taken us 20 years or more to replicate Curry House Curries....just about done it..
I'm wading my way through this, to achieve the same:

Wherever I've lived, I've made a point of getting to know the front of staff at my local Indians well - well enough to gain access to querying some of the chefs. Occasionally they reveal a nugget or two, but how they make their base onion sauce remains an elusive mystery. Some chefs claim it cannot be made at home, citing the high temperatures required. Nonetheless, my quest continues. I guess telling me what I want to know, would lose them a customer. It's totally impossible to do the same in Chinese restaurants. I don't eat Malaysian or Thai food often enough to gain any intel from their chefs.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My self-restricted movement during this pandemic does seem to have made me rather more active in the kitchen than normal. It's absurd how much more time I spend experimenting with food. I've just eaten a load of deep fried pumpkin & onion bhajis. Gotta use up these pumpkins! I'll juice one later for a very orange soup...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
BEHOLD! My pumpkin and onion bhajis! I added a bit of wheat protein (gluten), to make a more complete protein, because it's otherwise just chickpea flour. These will slip nicely into Kefir unflatbreads later, with some chilli sauce and lemon juice drizzled over the top, plus some salad. It's only these that remain from the batch I made earlier:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
For versatility of cooking, IMHO you can't beat a gas hob - the only reason I went with a halogen hob were for reasons of efficiency, and pollution reduction in my home. If food sticks to your pots and pans, it's likely because your bases are too thin. Unfortunately, you have to spend a darn fortune to get even heat distribution, when cooking on gas. The American Metal Company (AMC) used to make hands down the best stainless steel cookware I have ever used. They're rare, and can only be bought used these days. They used to cost about 1.5k for a whole set:

Usually if your cast iron skillet is used on the right sized gas hob, iron's high heat conductivity is such that there should be no hotspots. If there are, you've bought a skillet which is too thin.

Out of curiosity, I get a small standalone induction hob. Hope it doesn't heat up my fillings.
Afraid I simply cannot agree about gas hobs. With induction, you can heat at a lower setting than a gas hob even at its lowest setting. And, like gas, turn it up to full instantly.

Only a very few things are really more difficult/impossible - like charring the skin of a pepper.

My point about sticking was in respect of the way gas hobs heat the base and sides of a pan. Thus any contents, especially if it is gently simmering, forms a ring just above its surface. That ring firms up, hardens, even burns with longer cooking making it worse.

Also, even with decent pan bases, the dead centre of a pan tends to be cooler and the contents require more careful and dedicated stirring.

And, as already mentioned, hot handles are largely a thing of the past.

And cleaning is massively quicker and easier. You don't tend to have a very hot surface or the complexities of gas burners and the pan stands.

If cooking something inherently splashy and prone to problems, like jam or marmalade, you can stick a sheet of baking paper under the pan.

AMC products readily available still!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wonder how far strong magnetic fields extend? I'm thinking of effects on metal implants: pacemakers, plates in knees and wrists etc. A hot knee implant could singe clothing/ruin an ironed in trouser crease?

@oyster, do compass needles veer from magnetic North in close proximity to your pan bases?
I have never tried to use a compass near - indeed, not sure I have one other than as part of my phone.

Pacemakers are advised against.

I think plates are less likely to be an issue - though I would check properly regarding anything in my hands or wrists.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
BEHOLD! My pumpkin and onion bhajis! I added a bit of wheat protein (gluten), to make a more complete protein, because it's otherwise just chickpea flour. These will slip nicely into Kefir unflatbreads later, with some chilli sauce and lemon juice drizzled over the top, plus some salad. It's only these that remain from the batch I made earlier:

View attachment 45218
They do look nice.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They do look nice.
They tasted much nicer than they look! :p It's all I can do to restrain myself from scoffing down these final four... But it does give me something to look forward to much later on.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Afraid I simply cannot agree about gas hobs. With induction, you can heat at a lower setting than a gas hob even at its lowest setting. And, like gas, turn it up to full instantly.

Only a very few things are really more difficult/impossible - like charring the skin of a pepper.

My point about sticking was in respect of the way gas hobs heat the base and sides of a pan. Thus any contents, especially if it is gently simmering, forms a ring just above its surface. That ring firms up, hardens, even burns with longer cooking making it worse.

Also, even with decent pan bases, the dead centre of a pan tends to be cooler and the contents require more careful and dedicated stirring.

And cleaning is massively quicker and easier. You don't tend to have a very hot surface or the complexities of gas burners and the pan stands.

If cooking something inherently splashy and prone to problems, like jam or marmalade, you can stick a sheet of baking paper under the pan.

There are never any hotpots with AMC pans, on any hob! Seriously - the best made pans on Earth! Nothing else compares. Nothing. And they last forever. And weigh a ton - AMC bases are roughly twice as heavy compared to the heaviest of other bases. Monstrously good pans! I'm always picking them off ebay...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Lol - AMC don't even quote prices! Must now be in the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it", category. Home demos like that are for a high-commitment buys, perhaps they'll want a share of equity in your home or something. They last forever anyway, best bought on ebay.

Advertisers