Help! Frame battery without bottle cage screw holes

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
I'm helping a mate convert his wife's bike. It's half decent and worth converting, but it has no bottle cage screw holes on its step-through frame. I'm trying to avoid a rack-mounted battery, as it already has a rack.

Is there a solution that will safely allow me to mount a 13ah battery on an aluminium frame with a chunky, elliptical downtube?

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Thanks. Being fairly (totally!) ignorant of such things, it seems an M3 rivnut can be fitted with a pop rivet gun. Would a couple of M3 bolts be beefy enough to hold a 13ah battery, holder and controller in place?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks. Being fairly (totally!) ignorant of such things, it seems an M3 rivnut can be fitted with a pop rivet gun. Would a couple of M3 bolts be beefy enough to hold a 13ah battery, holder and controller in place?
Best is M6 rivnuts, otherwise use 3 x M5.

You drill a hole so that the rivnut is a tight fit. Take a couple of steel strips and drill holes about an inch from the end. The holes should be big enough to clear the screw thread. Put the riv-nut in the hole. Place the holes on the two strips over the riv-nut and screw in the screw. Lever the two strips apart to pull up on the screw while holding the riv-nut down. Screw the screw down again and repeat until the screw won't pull up any more.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Rivnuts M3 I would not go with, bigger, bigger.

There is a hailong type battery holder that has the battery connector at the bottom of the holder which allows you to fit more and wider spaced mounting bolts.

Just using two mounting bolts seems completly daft to me, if one were to fail, then with the battery flapping about it could cause damage to the frame.

I needed to use rivnuts to fit a hailong type battery to the titanium frame of my mountain bike that I converted, I used 4 ..........................

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Until you add the shipping cost.
A bit cheaper here:

Reactions: jimriley

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Hmm, M6 rivnuts mean drilling 9mm holes into the frame. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that.

4 x M3 would work.

Thanks everyone for chipping in.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
M3 bolts are way too small and weak for battery mounting.

Another way is to clamp around the frame instead of drilling. Make a shaped seat between the curve of the frame and the flat of the battery mount at two or three places, bolt to mount, clamp around frame with huge cable ties or plastic covered Jubilee clips. Many variations are possible.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Minimum needs to be M5 as that is what a std rivnut screw size is.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hmm, M6 rivnuts mean drilling 9mm holes into the frame. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that.

4 x M3 would work.

Thanks everyone for chipping in.
The bigger the riv-nut the stronger it is and the less likely it is to crack. I have 6mm rivnuts in all my bikes. M3 would be a disaster. When you drill holes in stressed parts, the solution is counter-intuitive. The bigger the radius, the lower the stress. a small hole will crack after some time. 3mm would be nowhere near stroong enough anyway.

Al Wright

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2022
Dublin, Ireland
I had a similar problem, though the supplier of the kit I fitted provides an attachment for frames with out bosses for a bottle holder. The bracket shown was made from scrapped hinge from Upvc window

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is there a solution that will safely allow me to mount a 13ah battery on an aluminium frame with a chunky, elliptical downtube?
you usually need at least two M5 x 12mm bolts. For that, you'll needs a 7mm drill bit and a couple of aluminium M5 rivnuts.
The main issue is to find a straight section on the frame to rest the battery on.
Give us a link to the model of the bike, we'll have a clearer idea of what is needed.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
What about jubilee clips to hold on a mount that the battery can be attached to ?. Not aesthetically pleasing I know, but it would provide a firm mount.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Wolf tooth do this, I have not used any of these:

Giant also do this

Last edited:

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Right, here's a picture of the bike. The frame is very elliptical, which might be why Dawes didn't provide screw holes.

Thanks for the suggestions of alternatives. The straps would probably hold a bottle & holder in place, but may not be beefy enough for a heavy battery.

Attachments

Advertisers