Freego Folder

fredgassit

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 15, 2019
Hi,
I've been asked to have a look at one of these. It's a couple of years old and done 900 miles only. The motor will work on the throttle/button for walk assist,
but nothing currently for pedal assist. the bike looks like it's never seen rain, no sign of corrosion anywhere.
Battery contacts are clean, I've open up the wiring box and again all looks like new, bullet connectors seem solid, no signs of any melting at all.
I'd like to try another speed controller, but looking at the options there seem to be loads of similar, but not identical options. How do I go about
finding the right (or least amount of work to fit) one?
co2.jpg

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Look around the bottom bracket, you need to find the pas sensor and disc. First thing will be to check the gap between the disc and the sensor - should be 1-3mm. If the sensor has a red led on it, it should flash as the peddles are turned.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's very unlikely that anything is wrong with the controller if it works with the throttle. heck out the pedal sensor as above. If that's not it, tell us whether you have an LED or LCD control panel. A photo will help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also follow and check the sensor wiring to it's connector for damage, if a three pin SM block connector make sure no pin has backed out or wire is loose.

fredgassit

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 15, 2019
Right, hadn't spotted the led on the pedal sensor, that flashes when pedalling. I traced the wire and unplugged the connector - looked clean, no obvious issue. Plugged it back in and it now seems to be working despite the fact I haven't really done anything. I'll have to wait until the rain stops and I'll give it a decent ride.
Thanks for the help people.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Right, hadn't spotted the led on the pedal sensor, that flashes when pedalling. I traced the wire and unplugged the connector - looked clean, no obvious issue. Plugged it back in and it now seems to be working despite the fact I haven't really done anything. I'll have to wait until the rain stops and I'll give it a decent ride.
Thanks for the help people.
The repair/fault then was simple and likely just a bad connection, though could be an intermittent wire fault. If the connector is the small Black or white SM type connector sometimes the pins /barbs aren't always inserted correctly and can back out.

Advertisers