Freego Hawk repair

fredgassit

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 15, 2019
Hi,

I'm attempting to repair a three year Freego Hawk which is cutting out infrequently/intermittantly. With Freego no longer trading it
obviously more difficult getting the parts/information required. I've read a few threads here and elsewhere suggesting the speed
controller could well be the issue. Can anyone suggest suitable parts and source to replace the original equipment. The speed controller has specs:

36V
Overvoltageprotectionvalue 31.5V + or minus .5v
Limit currant 16A
Nominal current 8A
Rated power 250W
Diameter 26"
Drawing no LDSS001-1
Protection date 20150616

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Nik

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I'm attempting to repair a three year Freego Hawk
If the bike runs normally most of the time, the fault is unlikely to be the controller. Check all connectors are tight and clean, esp on the battery. When it cuts out, how do you get it going again?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is/does the display turn off or stay on during these cut outs ?

Are the cut outs actual power loss (system switching off) or just momentary losses of PAS power ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Controllers don't give intermittent cut outs. A fault in the wiring can do that, or a tired battery or a bad connection. If it only happens when pedalling, it can also be because the pedal sensor has neen knocked out of adjustment.

As a ove, if the LCD/LED control panel goes off whentyou get the cut out, it's the battery or its connection.

fredgassit

Feb 15, 2019
Sounds like it battery connection, but as the LCD switches off. All the connectors look fine though, there is no corrosion on the battery terminals or with the bullet connectors inside the frame box. I'll have a further look investigation. Thanks for the help

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I've had a couple of Freego batteries given to me as being broken. On opening them up, one had a bad solder joint on the switch and the other had badly corroded terminals inside the switch, so this might be worth investigating. As I asked before, how do you get the bike going again after it has switched itself off?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You should be able to apply some logic. If the cut offs are purely random and you can switch back on and ride some distance before it happens again, it's most likely a connection fault. On the other hand, if it doesn’t do it when the battery is fully charged, but starts to happen when the battery runs down, and the distance you can go after switching back on becomes progressively less, then you have a problem within the battery's cell pack.

fredgassit

Feb 15, 2019
It's not my bike, the information about the cutouts isn't the best. If I( can't find anything obvious then I'll get them to ride it again and take notes of any failures/battery state etc. Was fine when I rode it for a couple of miles . I think they just turn it back on and it's OK some of the time, but did leave them stranded once.

Advertisers