Freego new controller wiring different

auzr66

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 29, 2023
Sorry guys, me again.

Have bought a new controller only to find the new one has two grey wires where the original had none.
One wire has a male socket the other a female. Please advise, do I leave unattached or join together?
While I am asking, also noticed the connections to the rear light are reversed, would that matter?

Apologies if I have messed up scaling these photos attached

Thanks again,
Mike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The pair of wires are either for 1. speed restriction or 2. learn wires.
One suspects though they are for speed restriction in this case.

Though a link to the controller might make clear the answer.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For the rear light check the polarity of the white and yellow wire, one expects white should connect to red and yellow to black other wise you will blow something .

auzr66

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 29, 2023
The pair of wires are either for 1. speed restriction or 2. learn wires.
One suspects though they are for speed restriction in this case.

Though a link to the controller might make clear the answer.
Thankyou, should I be joining the grey wires to each other?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us a link to the controller to confirm what the wires are 100% for.

If they are speed wires then connecting them will change the speed , it won't harm the bike. If they are learn wires then you will muck up the motor and it will likely work in reverse so you would simply have yo do the learn process again then leave the wires disconnected.

Both options no harm will come to the bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
A pair of wires like that are to set an OR condition in the controller. That can condition can be:
  • Fixed speed limit on or off
  • Forward or reverse motor direction
  • EABS on or off
  • Cruise on or off
  • Self-learning on or off
  • Battery voltage 36v or 48v
  • Anything else like that.
If you have a Freego controller, they're for the speed limit. You have to experiment to see which is on or off. If it's not a Freego controller, you have to look at the listing to see which features are listed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is typical of a lot of posts , no one posts a link to the actual item they have got so we can only assume /take a stab at what they are for.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The grey wires are brake sensors. Leave them disconnected for now. Make sure everything else is working before connecting the brake sensors

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sorry, I missed the question about lights. LED lights only work with the wires the correct way round. If you mean that the black and red wires are crossed and the yellow and white are the other way round, then the lights probably won't work. no damage will occur if they're the wrong way round: they just won't work until you put them the right way. Use a darning needle to depress the barb in the connector to remove the pins and swap them over if you need to.

Advertisers