Freewheel / cassette sticking

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Hi, I’m having intermittent problems with the freewheel / cassette (not sure which I have at the moment) on my volt pulse (done 1100 miles). Every now and then is becomes ‘free’ in both forward and backward directions so there is no forward drive. This seems to fix itself after a few pedal rotations. Is this likely to be a lubrication issue or something more serious? I’m still under warranty but if it’s just a drop of oil somewhere then I’m happy to fix myself as it’s a bit of a pain going back to the dealer. Grateful for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I have had this on a old bike that was left outside. I think it was the freewheel mechanism /pawls sticking. A squirt of wd-40 used to do the trick. WD-40 is more of a degreaser than a oil so another product may be more suitable. On a new bike 1100 miles is not a lot.

Sent from my MTK8382 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider and Nealh

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I have had this on a old bike that was left outside. I think it was the freewheel mechanism /pawls sticking. A squirt of wd-40 used to do the trick. WD-40 is more of a degreaser than a oil so another product may be more suitable. On a new bike 1100 miles is not a lot.

Sent from my MTK8382 using Tapatalk
If this does not work, a new freewheel or cassette wheel may be necessary. Hopefully if you have a cassette the cassette body is replaceable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes for one reason or another the pawls are not releasing correctly or sticking. The pawls often have some kind of a spring mechanism to keep them in position, one I have seen the pawls have a small notch/groove centrally and a thin elastic banding is used to keep them in place some. On the latter type a pawl may reverse itself and not operate correctly.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Is there any easy way to tell if I have a freewheel or cassette?

The site says "Shimano Alivio gears" so it is a cassette.

D

Deleted member 4366

Look at your top gear and count the teeth. 11T is normally cassette. 13T or 14T is normally freewheel. Also, freewheel are normally 1 to 7 speed. 8 speed or more is normally cassette.

Three-in-one is the oil you need.

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I once had this on my non ebike, I applied loads of oil to the cassette and it solved the problem,.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Look at your top gear and count the teeth. 11T is normally cassette. 13T or 14T is normally freewheel. Also, freewheel are normally 1 to 7 speed. 8 speed or more is normally cassette.

14t and 8 speed. ???

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Is there Shimano marked on the gears?

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster

A bit of 3 in 1 oil seems to have done the trick for now. The pawls are clicking louder than they ever did. Thanks

Reactions: Emo Rider
D

Deleted member 4366

14T is most likely a freewheel, but it doesn't matter now if you've fixed it. If your're still curious, a cassette has a flat or slightly domed retainer on the outer face.

A freewheel doesn't have the retainer, but looks something like this:

• Informative
Reactions: Wheel-E

Advertisers