Front sprocket and chain advice.

Leonboy1987

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 8, 2016
Belfast
Guys, I've been riding my cube reaction with the bosch performance cx now for a month and only covered 140 miles but I have a few teething problems. Under my own power I'm spinning out at like 25mph cruising which is very annoying so I'm looking to put on a 19 or 20 tooth front sprocket in place of my 15. Has anyone who has done this any info on their top speed from doing this? Also as I'm putting on a bigger sprocket can anyone recommend a decent chain that won't cost a bomb? (guessing I need a bigger chain) And has it made much difference on hill climbs? I have also ordered a bad ass box aswell for hooning about with on trails as I cant keep up with my super fit mate anymore with my bad knees. I also have a creak in my crank already which is driving me nuts as it's all tight! All advice welcome.

Twinkleten

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2015
Devon EX8
I have put an 18 tooth on, up from 15 and it made a big difference on the flat and building up speed to start a hill climb. No real difference on hill climbs, just occasionally up from eco to touring. Kept the same chain. Highest speed I have hit is 35mph but stopped pedalling! Connex seem to be generally regarded as the best. From other posts creaks can also seem to be transmitted from othe component so check motor mounts etc for correct torque settings. The 18 tooth makes for a much longer legged ride and to my mind should have been the standard fitting.

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
I did have a 18t front sprocket, and found it fine, but found it slightly low a gear for me to use when cycling uphill is the lowest gear, so I've added a 20t Connex front sprocket onto my Bosch CX performance on my Trek Powerfly 7 FS, and I have got to nearly 40mph along the flat, before my legs cant go any faster. The only issue I have had with the 20t sprocket is I've found the chain comes off the front sprocket when riding off road, downhill, over roots and jumps. The chain has never come off when pedalling or riding on a smother surface. It could be the chain has stretched, but I've only done 600miles, so I hope not. I didn't need to change the chain when fitting the larger sprockets.
If I was to change again I'd probably go for a 19t front sprocket, as that would probably give me the best of both, hopefully.
I also had a creak noise, I tried torqueing motor mounting bolts to correct torque, they all needed 1/4 of turn, but it made little difference, so I put a smear of grease on all the mating surfaces between motor and frame, I also put a smear of grease round seat post, then cleaned and lubricated all suspension bearings, and the noise seemed to go. I still get the odd creak, so my next step is to clean and lubricated headset bearings.

• Useful
Reactions: Twinkleten

Graham Bestwick

Just Joined
Nov 18, 2017
Blackburn
I did have a 18t front sprocket, and found it fine, but found it slightly low a gear for me to use when cycling uphill is the lowest gear, so I've added a 20t Connex front sprocket onto my Bosch CX performance on my Trek Powerfly 7 FS, and I have got to nearly 40mph along the flat, before my legs cant go any faster. The only issue I have had with the 20t sprocket is I've found the chain comes off the front sprocket when riding off road, downhill, over roots and jumps. The chain has never come off when pedalling or riding on a smother surface. It could be the chain has stretched, but I've only done 600miles, so I hope not. I didn't need to change the chain when fitting the larger sprockets.
If I was to change again I'd probably go for a 19t front sprocket, as that would probably give me the best of both, hopefully.
I also had a creak noise, I tried torqueing motor mounting bolts to correct torque, they all needed 1/4 of turn, but it made little difference, so I put a smear of grease on all the mating surfaces between motor and frame, I also put a smear of grease round seat post, then cleaned and lubricated all suspension bearings, and the noise seemed to go. I still get the odd creak, so my next step is to clean and lubricated headset bearings.
Any advice what torque do you tighten the crank bolt to

Advertisers