Gearing 20" wheel bike Bafang BBS02 750w

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Maybe I should just paint over the 350w and let them work it out :)
They reprocessed a stack of them when they did the upgrade so they got over stamped.
I see the stamping is for 250W - yes, I'd be tempted to paint over as you say. No point in it being labelled as 350W, especially if it may actually be configured for 250W!

simon_lipari

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2014
The 250 and the 350 are the same unit, just the 250 is set to 15 amps and the 350 to 18A. You can change that setting yourself if you buy a programming cable. I've gone for the 250 so it is marked as such.
So what I do if I want a legal one is to buy one stamped 250 and get a cable and set the amps to 18 then.
Maybe I should just paint over the 350w and let them work it out :)
They reprocessed a stack of them when they did the upgrade so they got over stamped.
Sure, if its painted over, what are you waiting for , like d8veh wrote "On the other hand, if the manufacturer stamps or labels it 250w, there's very little anyone can do to argue. " :)
So all units come with the rating engraved then.. Well if not that'd been too easy !

D

Deleted member 4366

As I said, turning up or down, doesn't affect the rating of the motor. You can have as much current as you want, or as much as your motor can take.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
But if I run a 250w 36v Bafang cst motor at 48 volt.Would that be legal?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's the label that matters. If the label says 250W then it's legal.
What you do with the electronics is up to you.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
You cant run a 250/350 as a 500/750 as they are different motors.
The 500/750 has a wider stator.

simon_lipari

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2014
So I've got more gear issues here. The foldable I looked at has a 6 speed freewheel, but I need to be able to accommodate a 7 speed freewheel. One solution could be to buy a rear wheel I found at Decathlon, which is supposed to be able to take 5/6/7 speed freewheel. This confuses me; does the frame of a six speed bike gonna have a too narrow space between dropouts to take the decathlon 5/6/7 wheel with a 7 speed freewheel? Sheldonbrown said one would need to re-dish the wheel from a 5 speed to 6/7, but didn't say anything about going from 6 to 7. I've seen a video on youtube where a guy demonstrates that a 7 on a 6 hub works sometimes.
Any thoughts?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes,but it also says 36volt not 48volt
That doesn't matter, the only thing the law says about the voltage is that it cannot exceed 48 volts nominal on an e-bike. It's only the stated wattage rating that counts.

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need to change the wheel. They all have the same thread, so you can fit any freewheel you want. The standard frame width is 135mm regardless of which freewheel is fitted. When you have more gears on the freewheel, the spacing between the gears can be narrower, so they're not necessarily any wider, but a 7 speed will probably be a bit wider than a 6 speed. You can easily spring the frame that much.

Depending on what changers you have, you might not be able to get all the gears. I have a 6 speed changer.on my Ebay bike, but I can get all seven gears after I upgraded from 6 speed to a seven speed DNP freewheel. It's the cheapest twist type changer - Revoshift?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just a note on hub motor freewheel threads. A small number of single speed folders have used rear hub motors with the smaller diameter BMX thread*. It's unlikely you'll see one, but if wishing to convert one from single speed to a multi gear system it can crop up, and there are no multi sprocket freewheels with the BMX thread.

* The reason was to enable a smaller sprocket freewheel to overcome the otherwise inevitable low gearing with small wheels.

Advertisers