General bike help

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Hi, i have only just fixed the battery with a lot of help from you guys on here and something else breaks.

After riding for a few metres there was a crunching sound and when i looked the rear derailleur was hanging as it had snapped off. Also where one of the cogs is, the metal plate it is fixed to is bent almost to 45 degrees.

I don't know for the life of me how it happened.

So, the old one is shimano as are the shifters so i believe i need to use another shimano rear derailleur but can i use any or does it have to be the exact same one? Are there stronger more durable ones?

Also as i will need to snap off the chain and it looks a bit filthy and worn i was going to get a new one. I believe i need an 8 speed specific chain but again are there stronger ones?

Cheers.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You can mix and match derailleurs, but if I were in your shoes I'd stick with a shimano. Unless you want something special, the cheaper shimano stuff will be fine and last 1000's of miles. Just get one that's compatible with the number of gears you have. Likewise, chains should pretty much all be the same. The only real differrnce is the thickness. (thinner the more gears you have).

I have used the Clark's 7/8 speed anti rust chain from Halfords (£3.99) and its fine.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
cheers.

looking at this as it think it is the same as my current one -
Shimano Alivio M410 7-8 Speed Rear Mech

this chain -
KMC X8 99 8 Speed Chain

not sure what is the right hanger though

D

Deleted member 4366

Different derailleurs have different fixings at in the cheaper ranges. Make sure you get the same type. You'll see what yours is when you take it off. Ideally, you want one with the same number of speeds as you already have to get accurate indexing.

Your problem was most likely caused by the derailleur hitting a spoke. When you get your new one, pay particular attention to the end-stop adjustments.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You will need some form of stand to set it up properly. You need to be able to lift the back wheel up, and operate the pedals and change the gears. I normally use a bit of wood in the vice.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Hangers are usually bike specific. What's wrong with one you have?
the hanger snapped in 2 which is why i think the derailleur then got stuck somewhere and buckled.

the bike is a mongoose tyax comp 2011. when i google that some posts refer to
D83 CNC gear mech hanger / derailleur hanger / MONGOOSE ,HARO , KINESIS
although then on the listing it doesnt state the 2011 comp in the compatibilty.

i do have a bike stand as i knew it would come in handy at some point but i'm not quite sure how to set everything back up when i get the new parts on the bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

Show a picture of the complete broken hanger. I think you're wrong about the reason it broke. Why would the hanger break on its own?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Once you get the right hangar setting up the derailleur is easy.

Basically, disconnect cable, set low/high stops, 're-connect cable, adjust tension until it moves. Lots of vids on YouTube, will post a link in a bit.

Advertisers