Giant Road E+ 1 Dongle?

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
If you put a magnet on the crank arm and fit the speedo pickup on the frame you will have full deristriction,other than that a Badass dongle will work up to 50 km-h but they are expensive.
There are videos online for both options.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you put a magnet on the crank arm and fit the speedo pickup on the frame you will have full deristriction,other than that a Badass dongle will work up to 50 km-h but they are expensive.
There are videos online for both options.
The magnet on the crank arm work-around no longer works on Bosch bikes.

Of course, the Giant has a Yamaha motor, but what the beastly Germans can do I'm sure the clever Japanese can do just as well.

No harm in trying, although any warranty claim could be problematical.

The Badass dongle should work, but the warranty position will be the same.

Another straw in the wind is the roadie journalist testers who cooked some Giant E motors by barrelling up a long climb.

That may have been extreme/incorrect use, but it's another reason to use a Giant E within the manufacturer's spec, at least until the warranty expires.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
From all the reading i have done on the Yamaha motor it seems that it doesn`t respond well to tuning because it is cadence sensitive.The faster you pedal the more the power falls off.
It was designed this way for climbing power at lower cadences up to the cut-off speed of 15.5 mph.The cadence sensor is built in the motor and can`t be changed.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
From all the reading i have done on the Yamaha motor it seems that it doesn`t respond well to tuning because it is cadence sensitive.The faster you pedal the more the power falls off.
It was designed this way for climbing power at lower cadences up to the cut-off speed of 15.5 mph.The cadence sensor is built in the motor and can`t be changed.
Change up a gear and use a lower cadence then! My Yamaha provides useful extra input up to about 90 rpm plenty fast enough to do 30+mph on road bike gearing.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Change up a gear and use a lower cadence then! My Yamaha provides useful extra input up to about 90 rpm plenty fast enough to do 30+mph on road bike gearing.
I don`t own a Yamaha motor i am quoting from test reports.Is your bike a 2015 or 16 version.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Magnet on crank arm, actually on end of pedals threads araldited into the Allen key hex on the end. The sensor is taken off from the standard position inside the chain stay and repositioned on the outside. I have done over 1000km in the alps with it like this with no problems.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Magnet on crank arm, actually on end of pedals threads araldite into the Allen key hex on the end. The sensor is taken off from the standard position inside the chain stay and repositioned on the outside. I have done over 1000km in the alps with it like this with no problems.
The best method because it costs the least,lets hope Yamaha don`t change the software because it doesn`t work on Bosch as i have tried it on the performance line and CX motors.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I don't know if it is something to do with the Bosch primary 2.5:1 reduction gearing, I don't really see how Yamaha with a 1:1 primary and possibly a1:1 secondary could detect this reliably enough to prevent customer complaints.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I don't know if it is something to do with the Bosch primary 2.5:1 reduction gearing, I don't really see how Yamaha with a 1:1 primary and possibly a1:1 secondary could detect this reliably enough to prevent customer complaints.
How do you find the yamaha motor at around 26mph on level road,are you cruising or is it a big effort ?

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
25-26 mph on a level road is not working me hard but as always this varies from person to person. I am quite happy and actually prefer riding and unpowered mtb but where I am living for large parts of the year is incredibly hilly. I usually average 10% climbing.

• Informative
Reactions: nemesis

28Spokes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 24, 2018
Has anyone on this Forum heard of or used a Dongle on the Giant Road E+ 1?
I have fitted the SpeedBox 2: Yamaha Syncdrive Sport with RideControl EVO Display to my Giant Road-E+ 1 Pro (2019 version - 250w motor 80Nm)
This is not the prettiest or the lightest road E-bike, but I wanted a solid commuting bike with a strong, reliable motor.
The process of installing the Speedbox is not difficult and there is a video on YouTube that is pretty clear.
My only advice is to buy some good quality torx-keys, mine were cheap and I damaged one of the motor bolts by accident.
The biggest challenge is finding somewhere to put the Speedbox unit as the Road-E+ doesn't have the wide section down tube of the mountain bikes and the same tube has the internal cable routing for the gears and hydraulic brakes so there is no space.
The answer was to put the Speedbox in the space ABOVE the motor, it fits fine and seems to be dry and safe.

Performance:
I wanted to cycle my 32km commute to work across quite hilly countryside, and I am doing this in less than 1 hour each way.
I do not use the Road-E+ on it's top Turbo setting, except for one short 15% climb, as the Sport and sometimes lower settings give me a more natural feel as it matches my own leg power intensity with the speed I want to go.
With the Speedbox, the Road-E+ makes perfect sense as I quickly get to 25kmh and now I can carry on to 40-45kmh on the flat with only my normal cycling effort. Faster if I want to.
The hills used to be hard work, now they are comfortable, I keep the cadence high and use the gears to regulate my speed according to the gradient.
I am 51 years old and relatively fit but this makes my commute to the office very, very pleasant and I do not arrive too tired or excessively sweaty.
I have a quick shower at the office and I am ready for the day's work.

In terms of exercise, it is like doing a spin class as my knees feel good, not inflamed or stiff, I don't get tight muscles and yet my Garmin tells me I am getting a very balanced cardiovascular workout. Not everyone wants to be Marcel Kittel or André Greipel but we all want to go a little bit faster.

The ride uses about 65% to 80% of the battery (depending on how hard I use the motor and which direction as it is more downhill going home) so I keep a second battery charger at the office to give me a full charge each way.

My view is that this is an excellent combination, a solid road-style e-bike derestricted as a daily commuting bike. This saves me 30 to 40 minutes each way, leaves me fresh for work and I really enjoy the journey.

Now I can commute by bicycle everyday and I save 8kg of CO2 everytime I leave the car at home. We are all winners!

Reactions: nemesis and Nev

Alistair Paul

Sep 9, 2018
I have fitted the SpeedBox 2: Yamaha Syncdrive Sport with RideControl EVO Display to my Giant Road-E+ 1 Pro (2019 version - 250w motor 80Nm)
This is not the prettiest or the lightest road E-bike, but I wanted a solid commuting bike with a strong, reliable motor.
The process of installing the Speedbox is not difficult and there is a video on YouTube that is pretty clear.
My only advice is to buy some good quality torx-keys, mine were cheap and I damaged one of the motor bolts by accident.
The biggest challenge is finding somewhere to put the Speedbox unit as the Road-E+ doesn't have the wide section down tube of the mountain bikes and the same tube has the internal cable routing for the gears and hydraulic brakes so there is no space.
The answer was to put the Speedbox in the space ABOVE the motor, it fits fine and seems to be dry and safe.

Performance:
I wanted to cycle my 32km commute to work across quite hilly countryside, and I am doing this in less than 1 hour each way.
I do not use the Road-E+ on it's top Turbo setting, except for one short 15% climb, as the Sport and sometimes lower settings give me a more natural feel as it matches my own leg power intensity with the speed I want to go.
With the Speedbox, the Road-E+ makes perfect sense as I quickly get to 25kmh and now I can carry on to 40-45kmh on the flat with only my normal cycling effort. Faster if I want to.
The hills used to be hard work, now they are comfortable, I keep the cadence high and use the gears to regulate my speed according to the gradient.
I am 51 years old and relatively fit but this makes my commute to the office very, very pleasant and I do not arrive too tired or excessively sweaty.
I have a quick shower at the office and I am ready for the day's work.

In terms of exercise, it is like doing a spin class as my knees feel good, not inflamed or stiff, I don't get tight muscles and yet my Garmin tells me I am getting a very balanced cardiovascular workout. Not everyone wants to be Marcel Kittel or André Greipel but we all want to go a little bit faster.

The ride uses about 65% to 80% of the battery (depending on how hard I use the motor and which direction as it is more downhill going home) so I keep a second battery charger at the office to give me a full charge each way.

My view is that this is an excellent combination, a solid road-style e-bike derestricted as a daily commuting bike. This saves me 30 to 40 minutes each way, leaves me fresh for work and I really enjoy the journey.

Now I can commute by bicycle everyday and I save 8kg of CO2 everytime I leave the car at home. We are all winners!
I read this post with interest, I have just bought a Giant Quick E hybrid bike, with speedbox on order. My commute is 35 miles round trip on flat cycle path into Cambridge. I can manage about 60 or so minutes each way on a road bike but more than twice a week is tiring for me. So looking forward to reducing this to 50 mins or less and have enough energy for 4 days a week, anything to get off the A14 and the upgrade chaos.
Cheers
Alistair

P.S. before someone suggests I work on my fitness, I only cycle to get to work, I play squash to keep fit and I'm 57!

28Spokes

Oct 24, 2018
I read this post with interest, I have just bought a Giant Quick E hybrid bike, with speedbox on order. My commute is 35 miles round trip on flat cycle path into Cambridge. I can manage about 60 or so minutes each way on a road bike but more than twice a week is tiring for me. So looking forward to reducing this to 50 mins or less and have enough energy for 4 days a week, anything to get off the A14 and the upgrade chaos.
Cheers
Alistair

P.S. before someone suggests I work on my fitness, I only cycle to get to work, I play squash to keep fit and I'm 57!

28Spokes

Oct 24, 2018
Alistair
Thank you for the reply, I hope it encourages you to get more miles into your legs.
I think the new age of cycling is based on making cycling a way of life rather than shouting down people for being too fat/slow/old/electrified.
I own two road bikes, plus my Giant Road-e, a mountain bike and (my personal favourite) my cyclocross bike.
I ride each according to the conditions, company, weather, terrain and mood.
When I went round a couple of shops looking at ebikes I was asked on every occasion "why do I want one" by shop assistants.
When I bought my other bikes they didn't ask that question.
What is it about ebikes that people feel the need to justify the reason or apologise for buying one?
I ride an ebike because my priority is to put in a solid days work between my rides to and from the office.
In the meantime I get to see the sunrise and set over the Cotswolds every single work day.
So, how do I justify my ebike? I have it because I am very lucky and it puts the best bookends on my day.
Great to hear that you are fit over 50, check out this book, it is for anyone who realises that the first 50 years were just the warm up laps:
"Fast After 50: How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life"

Alistair Paul

Sep 9, 2018
Alistair
Thank you for the reply, I hope it encourages you to get more miles into your legs.
I think the new age of cycling is based on making cycling a way of life rather than shouting down people for being too fat/slow/old/electrified.
I own two road bikes, plus my Giant Road-e, a mountain bike and (my personal favourite) my cyclocross bike.
I ride each according to the conditions, company, weather, terrain and mood.
When I went round a couple of shops looking at ebikes I was asked on every occasion "why do I want one" by shop assistants.
When I bought my other bikes they didn't ask that question.
What is it about ebikes that people feel the need to justify the reason or apologise for buying one?
I ride an ebike because my priority is to put in a solid days work between my rides to and from the office.
In the meantime I get to see the sunrise and set over the Cotswolds every single work day.
So, how do I justify my ebike? I have it because I am very lucky and it puts the best bookends on my day.
Great to hear that you are fit over 50, check out this book, it is for anyone who realises that the first 50 years were just the warm up laps:
"Fast After 50: How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life"

Advertisers