Giant Road E+ 1 Dongle?

Alistair Paul

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2018
Alistair
Thank you for the reply, I hope it encourages you to get more miles into your legs.
I think the new age of cycling is based on making cycling a way of life rather than shouting down people for being too fat/slow/old/electrified.
I own two road bikes, plus my Giant Road-e, a mountain bike and (my personal favourite) my cyclocross bike.
I ride each according to the conditions, company, weather, terrain and mood.
When I went round a couple of shops looking at ebikes I was asked on every occasion "why do I want one" by shop assistants.
When I bought my other bikes they didn't ask that question.
What is it about ebikes that people feel the need to justify the reason or apologise for buying one?
I ride an ebike because my priority is to put in a solid days work between my rides to and from the office.
In the meantime I get to see the sunrise and set over the Cotswolds every single work day.
So, how do I justify my ebike? I have it because I am very lucky and it puts the best bookends on my day.
Great to hear that you are fit over 50, check out this book, it is for anyone who realises that the first 50 years were just the warm up laps:
"Fast After 50: How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life"
Hi
Speed box arrived and I fitted it yesterday, it's true there is very little space to tuck the wires away without damage. Unfortunately the assist still stops at 15.5mph so am in correspondence with the supplier in Czech republic to find out what's wrong.
I bought this bike as a tool to get to work, I use a road bike at the moment which takes me 60 mins or so, but then I need a shower and breakfast before I start work. More than 2-3 times a week I'm tired for the weekend. Hoping that with the ebike I can have breakfast at home, leave at the normal time and not need a shower and a silly o'clock alarm.

Alistair Paul

Sep 9, 2018
Alistair
Thank you for the reply, I hope it encourages you to get more miles into your legs.
I think the new age of cycling is based on making cycling a way of life rather than shouting down people for being too fat/slow/old/electrified.
I own two road bikes, plus my Giant Road-e, a mountain bike and (my personal favourite) my cyclocross bike.
I ride each according to the conditions, company, weather, terrain and mood.
When I went round a couple of shops looking at ebikes I was asked on every occasion "why do I want one" by shop assistants.
When I bought my other bikes they didn't ask that question.
What is it about ebikes that people feel the need to justify the reason or apologise for buying one?
I ride an ebike because my priority is to put in a solid days work between my rides to and from the office.
In the meantime I get to see the sunrise and set over the Cotswolds every single work day.
So, how do I justify my ebike? I have it because I am very lucky and it puts the best bookends on my day.
Great to hear that you are fit over 50, check out this book, it is for anyone who realises that the first 50 years were just the warm up laps:
"Fast After 50: How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life"

28Spokes

Oct 24, 2018
Hi
Speed box arrived and I fitted it yesterday, it's true there is very little space to tuck the wires away without damage. Unfortunately the assist still stops at 15.5mph so am in correspondence with the supplier in Czech republic to find out what's wrong.
I bought this bike as a tool to get to work, I use a road bike at the moment which takes me 60 mins or so, but then I need a shower and breakfast before I start work. More than 2-3 times a week I'm tired for the weekend. Hoping that with the ebike I can have breakfast at home, leave at the normal time and not need a shower and a silly o'clock alarm.
The way my commute works is this:
Drive in on Monday morning
Cycle home Monday evening (leaving my car at the office)
Cycle back in on Tuesday morning
Either cycle home again or drive on Tues pm etc.
This mixes the week up to keep the ride fresh and makes the logistics of getting clean work clothes and towel etc to the office without needing a backpack.
I tend to leave my bike in the office over the weekend as I don't need the e-bike at the weekend and it saves putting it in the car.
Good luck getting your Speedbox sorted.

Alistair Paul

Sep 9, 2018
Well my replacement speedbox has been fitted and I have clocked up around 700 miles commuting. I can sustain 25mph or so, which gets me to work in 50 mins. It's not effortless, but I'm not tired after 4 commutes a week so happy days

28Spokes

Oct 24, 2018
Sounds like a good result!
It is also where common sense prevails when it comes to lifting the speed restriction on e-bikes as this has reduced congestion, saved tonnes of CO2 and you are fitter!
If you can recommend any winter gloves that keep your fingers warm at 25mph when it is -2C, I am very interested...

Alistair Paul

Sep 9, 2018
It is also where common sense prevails when it comes to lifting the speed restriction on e-bikes as this has reduced congestion, saved tonnes of CO2 and you are fitter!
If you can recommend any winter gloves that keep your fingers warm at 25mph when it is -2C, I am very interested...
I have Sealskinz gloves but you're right, the windchill, especially yesterday is significant. I think the trick is to keep the body core warn so maintaining circulation to your extremities, I'm getting a headband or cap to hopefully help, and reduce the wind noise as well.
Yes you can't flash past on the path at 25mph with people walking their dogs and kids on bikes, but most of my journey is on the guided busway which is wide, smooth and nearly deserted. Cambridge is festooned with cycle lanes and in the spirit of the Cycle2work scheme I'm not in my car!.

Advertisers