Good idea for ebikes?

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
The following has appeared in today's "East Anglian Daily Times."

I thought members might well be interested.

I have not sought permission to copy here so it will be best not to copy this any further. I feel sure than no objection will be made to it being placed here.

==================

EAST COAST: Network of hire.

A SCHEME to encourage visitors to abandon their cars and go sightseeing by electric bike is set to be rolled out over the Suffolk coastal strip.

Plans are being drawn up to establish a network of 22 hire and re-charging points in the area - to make it easier for visitors to take to two, power-assisted wheels.

The idea has come from Light Electric Vehicles (LEV), of Leiston, which sells and hires electric cycles - modes of transport which demand considerably less leg-power than traditional bikes.
The firm carried out a successful "pilot" version of the scheme last year, limited to a small area including Southwold, Thorpeness and Aldeburgh.

Now it is planning to roll out the idea across a large part of the coastal strip, between Southwold and Woodbridge and as far inland as Framlingham.

James Fitzgerald, one of LEV's founders, said: "It is one way of encouraging eco-tourism. Even if people arrive on the Suffolk coast by car it could be left parked for the holiday and journeys could be made by electric bike.

"At the moment we have lots of cars travelling from one picturesque location to the next.”
Mr Fitzgerald said a map would be published showing the hire and re-charging points and the routes between them.

"The batteries are sufficient for about 30 miles and recharging takes about an hour and a half, in which time people could have a meal or a drink and take a look around the local area.
"The routes will as far as possible use country lanes and off -road tracks. We don't want people cycling up the A12," he said.

LEV has already signed up a number of hotels, restaurants and guesthouses which have agreed to participate in the scheme and to have battery re-charging points on their premises.

LEV, which is currently handing over electric bikes to both Suffolk County Council and Ipswich Borough Council, is now looking for other businesses to come forward to enable the new network to be completed. Anyone interested should contact Mr Fitzgerald on 0845 6026652.

Jim Brown, spokesman for the Suffolk Tourism Partnership, said: "The idea to create a network of hire and recharging points for electric bicycles is a great one.

"Through our marketing promotion campaigns and information services, we encourage tourists to consider reducing their carbon footprint when visiting the county on holiday. The electric bike will hopefully appeal to less active visitors who would not consider cycling as part of their leisure activity.
"The provision of cycling services for tourists encourages sustainable tourism activity and a fun and memorable leisure experience."

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for this information Tony, interesting, and anything which widens the experience of electric assist bikes is welcome. It could easily lead to some sales when people go back home.

Ironical that it's in one of Britain's flattest areas though. :rolleyes:

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Thanks for this information Tony, interesting, and anything which widens the experience of electric assist bikes is welcome. It could easily lead to some sales when people go back home.

Ironical that it's in one of Britain's flattest areas though. :rolleyes:
I hadn't thought of that, Flecc. It is very true of course. And the coastal area is the flattest area of a flat county! Despite this I suspect that most of these hire jobs will be used as mopeds with very little pedalling going on, and I also suspect that day hire to go somewhere and back will be the major use. There is a particularly lovely (and flat) ride from Aldeburgh to Thorpe Ness for instance, which I know has had a bike hire system in place for many years. I shall watch the whole thing with much interest.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I think they'll mostly be used moped fashion Tony. That's a good thing if they are to win over some of the car driving fraternity though, as there's no way most of them would contemplate pedalling only, even downhill. :D

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I am sure there must be other car drivers like myself,who would like a bit of exercise,but without the need to use every last drop of energy on the hills,which is what probably what deters most people from normal cycling.on holidays people often try something new that they would not dream of trying at home,a hire system might show people how much better electric bikes are compared to standard bikes,if the hire bikes are of good quality it could help sales rapidly expand.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
I am sure there must be other car drivers like myself,who would like a bit of exercise,but without the need to use every last drop of energy on the hills,which is what probably what deters most people from normal cycling.on holidays people often try something new that they would not dream of trying at home,a hire system might show people how much better electric bikes are compared to standard bikes,if the hire bikes are of good quality it could help sales rapidly expand.
I think so too - and it is a holiday making area so many hirers are likely to be holidaymakers doing something a little different. I can almost believe that some are likely to be rather smitten by the experience and at least more likely to go home and look into ebikes.

James

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2008
Spartabikes and electricbikehire

James from Light Electric Vehicles Ltd here.

All our hirebikes are Sparta Ions so everyone is pedeling! We use Sparta's 'cos they work almost without fail. During last year's pilot we had two punctures and one case of max. range 5 miles (due to faulty weather-proof conector carrying power to the motor). Many of the posts on this subject are correct in citeing intoducing electrocycling to the wider population as the reason we launched electricbikehire.co.uk - last year about 28'000 miles were covered by folk who would not dream of using a conventional bike to tour the country side. At 1.78 grams per mile (based current uk power mix, excluding renewables) this adds up to 49 tonnes of CO2. If folk had used their cars to get around they'd have produced 7000 tonnes of CO2.
Best wishes to all, james.

James

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2008
electric bike hire - Correction

My ealier figures are KGs not Tonnes!

Advertisers