Greenedge CS2 battery issue

CS2commuter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 11, 2017
Yorkshire
Hello,

I have had my Greenedge CS2 for about 18 months. I use it for my daily commute and have clocked up over 2500 miles so far.

The bike has been brilliant throughout however, the other day it cut out on a hill then went from nearly full to empty in no time. I charged it up and it next time it ran out instantly. When I charge it now the charger stays green as though the battery is fully charged.

The battery is 36v 9ah Lithium Ion. The LCD screen is showing error code 4E.

1. Does anyone know when error code 4E is?
2. Should the battery fail without warning or should I expect to see some degradation first?

I am just making sure it is in fact the battery that is the problem before buying a new one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I guess you could wear down a small 9Ah battery in a year and a half, depends on the cells inside. Using my 10.4 Ah Samsung 26F battery with the GSM was too much for it. It still works but like yours has very serious sag. And that was within days of using it with that motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

What do you mean by "It ran out instantly". What measuring instrument did you use to confirm that the battery was on 31v?

Batteries do not wear out from one day to the next. Without seeing anything and without knowing the full story, I'd guess that you have a faulty battery contact. Check that the two pins in the receiver are both moving against their springs and are the same height as each other.

Error code 4 is low battery, but it's checking the voltage at the display, so a bad connection will give that. the only way to be sure is to measure the battery with a meter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There have been issues with contacts, including arcing and plastic receivers melting. Caused by battery to cradle/receiver poor contact.
Low voltage could be a few things.
The fact it occurred on a hill tends to suggest it could well be knackered cells/cells collapsing under load which both amount to battery may be in poor health.
If you have a meter check the battery voltage, if competent opening a battery to check the 10 cell groups would be another option.

Last edited:

CS2commuter

Dec 11, 2017
Yorkshire
Thanks for all your advice thus far - I guess I really need to get a meter to check the battery, but I will also have a look at the contacts.

D8veh - 'It ran out instantly' when after a charge it was empty after about three turns of the pedal. Not done any form of measuring yet!

D

Deleted member 4366

You're jumping to conclusions. The bike ran out of power, but not necessarily the battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for all your advice thus far - I guess I really need to get a meter to check the battery, but I will also have a look at the contacts.

D8veh - 'It ran out instantly' when after a charge it was empty after about three turns of the pedal. Not done any form of measuring yet!
With a meter not only can you check/diagnose a battery you can also confirm if the charger is faulty.
Not a lot more you can do until you have some actual figures to work with.

CS2commuter

Dec 11, 2017
Yorkshire
Hello,

Thanks again for you advice. I checked the pins on the battery holder and one of the pins was sticking (not springing back like the other). I managed to press it down with my hand and took it for a short test ride.

This seems to have sorted it, the battery did not go to empty though it did cut out briefly a few times.

I suspect some dirt or grit may be affecting the pin springing up and down. Is it easy to dismantle the battery holder to clean the pins?

Cheers

D

Deleted member 4366

ct some dirt or grit may be affecting the pin springing up and down. Is it easy to dismantle the battery holder to clean the pins?

Cheers
Yes, if you have a 1/4" socket set or suitable nut-driver.

Advertisers