Grown adults riding on pavements in quiet areas?

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I am really confused by this phenomenon - people in their mid 20s to even 40s riding on the pavement, in villages and low traffic areas with a clear road next to them.

I can understand kids and teenagers doing this, and maybe others in peak times and in more crowded area but why when the roads are empty in a quiet village? Its then a slow and more risky way of getting about due to changing kerb levels, bad surfaces and street furniture!

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
Hi,
I teach cycle training to the National Standards and we teach kids to ride on the road not paths or cycle tracks and not to close to the gutter so that you get treated like a road user. Some of the kids find it off putting at first and soon get use to it.I agree there are times to use cycle paths at busy junctions and other places but I have gone round motorway roundabouts which I consider busy with no problems on a normal unassisted bike providing you ride properly, a good book is John Franklins ( I think its called ) Cycle Craft. Its for adults and children alike.
regards
Fatts
Fatts

Last edited:

Advertisers