Guy Martin & the hydroplaning bike

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Just watched the channel 4 program where Guy Martin attempts the aquaplaning distance record.
Good, enjoyable stuff, but it struck me that, the way the front wheel was bouncing & finally dived, could they have fitted a couple of smallish "canard" type foils to to the forks to control that?
There didn't appear to be anything in the rules to prevent it.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Really enjoy programs like this, not nearly enough of them.
I think the canards might not have helped, the bike was going well until the power required to keep it level dropped off a bit. Then the bike bobbed and the inevitable happened. You what Guy said at the end...if you think you can do it better>>>>>:)

I was surprised the bike ran again after it was submersed for a long time. Had a good laugh when he got a shot of water from the spark plug hole. The same happened to me when my mates car head gasket blew. I said take the plugs out and crank it over and i'll see if there is any water in it. I got a right soaking.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Just shows if you keep a engine simple how much abuse it can take mx engine is as basic as it comes with virtually no electical components bar the coil and spark plug so very little to go wrong.

sent by pigeon post

Advertisers