Haibike Hard Seven-Has Anybody Fitted Double Chainring ?

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
I keep looking at the Haibike Hard Seven and my instincts tell me a double chainring will be better. It is a well known fact that chains do not wear well if bent too much, sprockets wear out sooner too.

The 2017 Haibike looks like it has a fitting for a 2 speed front changer.

I know Giant Dirt E have the Yamaha motor and double chainring but I would prefer a Haibike.

Has anybody made this modification ? Is it easy and how much did it cost ?

Steve Gray

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2017
Bay Area, Ca
I keep looking at the Haibike Hard Seven and my instincts tell me a double chainring will be better. It is a well known fact that chains do not wear well if bent too much, sprockets wear out sooner too.

The 2017 Haibike looks like it has a fitting for a 2 speed front changer.

I know Giant Dirt E have the Yamaha motor and double chainring but I would prefer a Haibike.

Has anybody made this modification ? Is it easy and how much did it cost ?

Steve Gray
My 2016 Nduro RX came with a 2x crankset. I actually converted it to a 1x11 setup. I still have the chainrings, deraillure and shifter. Let me know if you're interested. I'll let them go cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
I find on my hard seven its fine with the orginal but if a dongle would happen to transplant itself on my bike it wouldnt be enough i would need more higher gears.

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
My 2016 Nduro RX came with a 2x crankset. I actually converted it to a 1x11 setup. I still have the chainrings, deraillure and shifter. Let me know if you're interested. I'll let them go cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for your reply. Maybe I will not need a double chainring after all. Both you and Altop 1 seem very happy without one.

As I do not have a Haibike yet, I can't really take advantage of your offer.

I wonder if postage to the UK would be very expensive and could UK Customs add an import charge on second hand items ?.

Anyway let's leave it in the ether for now.

Happy cycling in California.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Yes I have done a conversion on a 2016 Hardseven, easy enough to do if you need the gearing. I'm living in the Alps part time and certainly find the extra low gears mean I can give more of my input when climbing and particularly when off road on tight technical climbs it is easier to pick your way through than with standard gearing. The larger 44t chainring helps prevent wear on the smaller gears on the cassette as even without a dongle you will find yourself in the top 2 or 3 gears most of the time when not climbing.

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Yes I have done a conversion on a 2016 Hardseven, easy enough to do if you need the gearing. I'm living in the Alps part time and certainly find the extra low gears mean I can give more of my input when climbing and particularly when off road on tight technical climbs it is easier to pick your way through than with standard gearing. The larger 44t chainring helps prevent wear on the smaller gears on the cassette as even without a dongle you will find yourself in the top 2 or 3 gears most of the time when not climbing.
Hello Chris-n. Thanks very much for the information. As I suspected, a double chainring has advantages.

Related Articles

Advertisers