Help! Haibike SDuro hard 9 battery

Debbie B

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 17, 2020
My bike won't switch on. No batteries available in South Africa. Found something on batteries4pro website. Has anyone used this site and was it legitimate?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It could well be something quite simple like a broken cable or connection slipped out. I think someone will be along soon to suggest some fairly simple tests. Unfortunately the more sophisticated the bike electrics the more limited such tests a user can make are.

Good luck with it anyway.

Debbie B

Sep 17, 2020
We have done all tests possible. It is definitely the BMS system. If someone has a circuit diagram it would really help getting it sorted out.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's been a while since I looked at one of these batteries, so I have to go from memory. In principle, the BMS works the same as any other, but it has its own software and comms.

Like any battery, the output is switched by a some mosfets. They switch on when they get 14v on the gate (left leg). Somewhere on the PCB, I found the 14v supply, which is switched on to the mosfets by a transistor that's controlled by the CPU. I tested that when I bridged across the transistor, the battery switched on, which is logical. I didn't have the bike when I was looking at this, so I couldn't test whether the comms was working. That's as far as I got to.

If it works on the bike like that, you can leave it permanently bridged, or you can put a switch on it in the case to switch it on and off as you wish. The only downside is that you lose the low voltage cut-off, so you have to keep an eye on your display and make sure that you don't over-discharge the battery.

If you go ahead with this test/modification, please let us know the outcome.

Without the specific diagnostics for the battery and access to the software, you've got no chance of figuring out why the battery won't switch on unless it's something visual and obvious.

The left output mosfet legs will be connected directly to the transistor that switches the 14v, and you'll find the 14v on the other side of that transistor, though my memory says that it wasn't quite as straight-forward as that, so you might have to probe around a bit to find the 14v. The 14v could be 12v or something in that general range, though 14v is ringing strongly in my head.

Debbie B

Sep 17, 2020
It's been a while since I looked at one of these batteries, so I have to go from memory. In principle, the BMS works the same as any other, but it has its own software and comms.

Like any battery, the output is switched by a some mosfets. They switch on when they get 14v on the gate (left leg). Somewhere on the PCB, I found the 14v supply, which is switched on to the mosfets by a transistor that's controlled by the CPU. I tested that when I bridged across the transistor, the battery switched on, which is logical. I didn't have the bike when I was looking at this, so I couldn't test whether the comms was working. That's as far as I got to.

If it works on the bike like that, you can leave it permanently bridged, or you can put a switch on it in the case to switch it on and off as you wish. The only downside is that you lose the low voltage cut-off, so you have to keep an eye on your display and make sure that you don't over-discharge the battery.

If you go ahead with this test/modification, please let us know the outcome.

Without the specific diagnostics for the battery and access to the software, you've got no chance of figuring out why the battery won't switch on unless it's something visual and obvious.

The left output mosfet legs will be connected directly to the transistor that switches the 14v, and you'll find the 14v on the other side of that transistor, though my memory says that it wasn't quite as straight-forward as that, so you might have to probe around a bit to find the 14v. The 14v could be 12v or something in that general range, though 14v is ringing strongly in my head.
Thank you for hat makes sense. I was wondering if there could be any damage done if the BMS was bypassed completely?
There does seem to be a popped resistor on the board..it's now a case of finding the correct size and part to replace it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I was wondering if there could be any damage done if the BMS was bypassed completely?
It most likely can't be done because the BMS does some hand-shaking with the other modules. When you bypass the output switching transistor, the BMS will have all functions except low voltage control. I think the comms must still be working if you can charge the battery because that also does some hand-shaking.

You can bypass the BMS and use the battery on a Chinese bike.

Reactions: Debbie B

Debbie B

Sep 17, 2020
Hi,

I have not used him but at the end of this thread I started about my own battery/charger connector issues there is a member called Cosas who has said he can fix Yamaha battery problems either with the connectors or the BMS by fitting his own designed BMS.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/yamaha-battery-charger-problem.31092/
Ahh thanks for that. Will try find him. My husband has an electronic s background and repairs electronic circuits for machinery manufactured in the 80's and 90s...however the new PC board s are mounted differently so many of the chips are "computed" in newer ways which is not his area of expertise. He can manufacture boards with the circuit diagrams. I think he needs to up his game as spending the fortunes on these batteries is not funny. There is going to be plenty of work repairing the BMS systems going forward.

Debbie B

Sep 17, 2020
So the latest is there is a shortage of these batteries worldwide. I emailed Yamaha in Japan who forwarded me to South Africa Yamaha. They are unable to deal with the batteries as they do not have a dealership agreement with Haibike. Haibike still have not sent me any details of having a dealership agreement with any South African importer. So that is a dead end. The large ebike store in London has stock but refused to sell to a non"customer"...you didn't purchase your bike from us...we won't supply you. So the next best is to purchase a generic from France. Anyone tried these? Please comment your experience.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you could try email them and see if they can get hold of one prob a long shot tho

Debbie B

Sep 17, 2020

you could try email them and see if they can get hold of one prob a long shot tho

Thank you

Related Articles

Advertisers