Haibike sDuro HardSeven SL 2015 Yamaha (7 Month 1600 Miles)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I also used to run but cannot now as I have to manage a chronic full thickness tear to the medial meniscus in my right knee.
While not encouraging you to get surgery for your knee: I don't know much about this stuff, but isn't that sort of repair done using keyhole surgery these days? It'd take ages to recover though, tendons take ages to heal. An injury somewhere inside my right knee I got at the end of the 80s still bugs me (it had a violent disagreement with a BMW bonnet while the rest of me flew over the car, upon which my bike left dents). The knee swelled up, but they they couldn't find a tear using scans. Years later, a physio told me while administering ultrasonic shocks to my knee that at some point, having failed healing, the body gives up and the injury becomes chronic (hence the ultrasonic shocks). Cycling became less painful after regular slow jogging (slower than fast walking and higher impact, but not the higher impact of normal jogging)... so for me at least, slow jogging has improved matters, my theory is slow jogging delivering shocks prompted the immune system to attempt repair again - but that's my experience and non-medical theory about my knee. After about two years of slow jogging, I don't experience knee pain cycling.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
While not encouraging you to get surgery for your knee: I don't know much about this stuff, but isn't that sort of repair done using keyhole surgery these days?
My recent patella tendon repair (including strengthening by stealing a bit of hamstring) most certainly wasn't keyhole surgery (unless one of those medieval keys).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How long have they said recovery will take? When can you resume cycling?

My recent patella tendon repair (including strengthening by stealing a bit of hamstring) most certainly wasn't keyhole surgery (unless one of those medieval keys).
If the scar looks like this, must have been a sharp one.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Mine looks a bit like that, except that it starts a little above the knee and doesn't extend so far down.

I forgot to ask about cycling explicitly when I saw the doctor just over a week ago; about 2 months after the op, which was just over a week after the injury. I expect to start (electric) cycling once I have sufficient flexion. I'm hoping another month or even a bit less if I'm lucky. I missed out on the early physio due to an admin error at the hospital.

We've got a portable bike exerciser, which I'm using for flexibility, but it only has 100mm cranks. We got it when my wife broke her knee cap just over a couple of years ago. One good feature was that with the flexibility of our Roomster we could put the back seat right back and the front seat right forward and she could sit in the back and pedal away, which was really helpful on long journeys. We didn't manage to harness the power to drive the car.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm hoping another month or even a bit less if I'm lucky.
My knee felt if good shape today so I gave it a go. A teeter round the block then a slow flattish 3 mile trip on very quiet roads/cycle path. I did take off the left (bad knee side) half toe clip. It looks as if my excuse for not doing the local shopping has gone away.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We didn't manage to harness the power to drive the car.
Was the exerciser's pedal assist system powered by the car?

My knee felt if good shape today so I gave it a go. A teeter round the block then a slow flattish 3 mile trip on very quiet roads/cycle path. I did take off the left (bad knee side) half toe clip. It looks as if my excuse for not doing the local shopping has gone away.
Do you have a Bosched Motus? I can't recall. Is there a cadence sensor option on your motor? This might be a good time to convert a bike using a BBS01B kit, to reduce knee pain and further strain while healing, and it'll take ages to heal. I can suggest firmware parameter tweaks for zero effort and minimal pedalling. The Bafang BBS01B can be programmed to be very easy on the knees, in my experience.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Was the exerciser's pedal assist system powered by the car?
Very basic exerciser, no power needed. We used it just to give a chance to keep the knee moving/flexing. It does have an option for friction resistance, but we never tried that. Reviews indicate it doesn't work well.

Do you have a Bosched Motus? I can't recall. Is there a cadence sensor option on your motor? This might be a good time to convert a bike using a BBS01B kit, to reduce knee pain and further strain while healing, and it'll take ages to heal. I can suggest firmware parameter tweaks for zero effort and minimal pedalling. The Bafang BBS01B can be programmed to be extremely easy on the knees, in my experience.
Yes, Bosched Motus. I used it on quite high assist level as soon as I hit a hill. A small amount of knee effort is good for healing for me at the moment; that obviously depends very much on the exact injury.

When the battery dies I might consider conversion, though I suspect it would be very difficult as the whole bottom bracket arrangement on the frame is very much designed around the Bosch motor. I've been surprised that the Chinese haven't produced a fitting kit to help with something like that.

No cadence sensor option. I've always thought it odd that torque sensor bikes don't have a top level of assist that relies on pedal motion (for ghost pedalling) or minimal torque (for easy hill starts) and gives full power, rather than just having higher torque multiplication.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If your Motus causes problems for your recovery, you could convert an old bike? My BBS01B is pretty much a moped without a throttle: Pedal a bit on lowest gear if necessary (hill starts) and it shoots off to 25km/h (18A controller limit, can be 20A, [20" wheels]). I've set mine for fast decrease of power when pedalling stops, but you could do the opposite for most minimal pedalling, and stop motor power using the ebrakes; let the motor do the work. @Woosh has said the law doesn't apply to throttles on conversions:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/build-spec-by-committee-might-that-include-you.45773/page-3#post-688195

@Woosh Kerching my commission!

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Sunny Cold Day Cross Country Leisure Ride

Ride to Haslmere in the cold lat nov 2023 002.JPG

Just about managed to fit in a bike ride around my chores. I set off in the afternoon very aware that the sun was due to set at 16:03 and I wanted to get back in time to bring in the bed sheets that I hoped might dry on a rare sunny winter day.

Ride to Haslmere in the cold lat nov 2023 003.JPG

It was nice to get out in the fresh cold air and enjoy the lovely almost completely off road ride to Haslemere railway station to get the train back to Godalming.

Ride to Haslmere in the cold lat nov 2023 004.JPG

Probably the last outing for my Schwalbe Hans Dampf gravity 2.35 tyre, run tubeless that was fitted on the 14th of October 2021. I plan to put another one on next week. Its been a very good tyre. Works really well off road and surprisingly well on road and tough as tough can be with no punctures I was aware of.

Ride to Haslmere in the cold lat nov 2023 005.JPG

I used 40% of my battery riding the 11.4 mile route, which has a lot of climbing.
By the time I reached home I had ridden 12.9 miles. I used 9% of my battery getting the 1.5 miles home from the Station requiring me to climb out of the valley and up a steep hill. I used higher assist to power up the hill home.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
When the battery dies I might consider conversion, though I suspect it would be very difficult as the whole bottom bracket arrangement on the frame is very much designed around the Bosch motor. I've been surprised that the Chinese haven't produced a fitting kit to help with something like that.
Conversion to another mid-motor (because of part linking)? Bosch may use just 1 or 2 mounting styles and maybe they're common to multiple brands to keep frame cost down. @Woosh toyed with the idea of producing a BB adapter (outcome?). If a Bafang wouldn't fit I'd switch to a rear hub. The Agattu is similar to a Motus and too comfortable to scrap.

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

peter was thinking about making some up but doubt he has had time but it really depends on the frame geometry and esp the chain line.

plus it might look crap.

there was a guy on there that made one for my bike but was around 100 euro from Italy

• Informative
Reactions: AntonyC

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Pub Sunday Lunch Ride

I had been for a Christmas lunch with some mates at a pub that had been very good. Before we left we were all given an envelope with a hidden discount inside for a meal in January.

A weekend arrived where I fancied a good pub Sunday roast, so a plan was made.

Google maps had three cycle routes varying between 17.4 and 22.1 miles. Due to being very busy on Saturday I had no time to plan my route and ended up using a route to Farnham I knew very well, a train from Farnham to Alton, and a road ride to the pub.

As I left my house my son was returning from The Station and told me there were severe problems with the railway after a land slide, very Railway Children. As the train line I wanted to use was essentially a shuttle route I took a chance it would still be running and kept going. The pub lunch was an early booking for 12:00 and the train I wanted to catch got me into Alton at two minutes to 12:00. It was a 2.2 mile road ride from Alton Station to the pub so I planned to ring the pub to let them know I would be a few minutes late.

East Worldham Sunday Lunch 19 12 2023 253.JPG

The ride from Godalming to Farnham is mostly off road. Its a great route with some demanding sections. There was quite a lot of mud after a lot of rain in the proceeding days which added to the fun. I had just fitted a new Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 rear tyre which is great in mud and proved itself again on the slippery muddy technical rooty climbs. I had also set of a bit late but still wanted to do all of my off road route. I kept an eye on the clock on my display and used some higher assist to be sure to get to the Station in time to catch the train. They were only running one train an hour so being late was not an option. I also did not know if the disruption on the network might effect the train I wanted to Catch. The first thing I checked when I got on the platform was the digital display and was relieved my train was on time.

East Worldham Sunday Lunch 19 12 2023 255.JPG

By using higher assist I had burned through more battery than usual. I can use as little as 25% of my battery on this 12 mile route but had used closer to half. I had brought my charger and plugged in on the 15 minute train journey to Alton, the first time I had tried this, and the charger light stayed on showing it was charging. I let the pub know I would be a bit late, and had added a useful 8%.

East Worldham Sunday Lunch 19 12 2023 257.JPG

I burned through this riding the 2.2 miles from Alton Station to the pub, using middle assist to climb quickly and travel faster. There was nowhere to lock up the bike but I pushed it into the pub garden at the back and attached it to a wrought iron chair with the agreement of a staff member.

East Worldham Sunday Lunch 19 12 2023 258.JPG

Its a great pub with great beer and food. As a bonus they allowed me to plug my battery in to charge while I was there. My secret discount envelope got me 25% off, and although their calculation of 25% was not quite right, I did not query it as everything had been very good and the staff had been great.

A quick road ride back to the station with time to pop into the adjacent waitrose to buy something to give my son when he got back from work. I caught a train from Alton back to Guildford, charging my battery back to almost full on the journey. The mainline had recovered and my connection to Godalming from Guildford was easy and quick, followed by a quick ride home up the steep hill I need to use.

A total of 16.8 miles.
The bike is up to 19,412 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: robert44 and esuark

StuJo3

Just Joined
Mar 5, 2024
Hi @georgehenry I wondered if you could help. My wife has the Hardseven sDuro SL 2016 and we are struggling to find a rear rack to carry our daughter. You know this bike inside and out and wondered if you could help at all with recommendations? All the best.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi StuJo3, rather frustratingly from your point of view is the fact that after a few unsatisfactory racks that broke I transferred a rack from an old analogue mountain bike I had that had proved rock solid. I had bought it from a local bike shop and do not know the brand. When I fitted it to my Haibike it fitted very snugly and just felt really good, and has proved superb. It is still on the bike and showing no signs of failure. I just don't know the make. Towards the beginning of my thread, page two, I put a new rack on that was not that good, but a member RobF recommended Tubus, as they are made of steel, so they could be a good rack to check out.

Reactions: StuJo3

StuJo3

Just Joined
Mar 5, 2024
Hi StuJo3, rather frustratingly from your point of view is the fact that after a few unsatisfactory racks that broke I transferred a rack from an old analogue mountain bike I had that had proved rock solid. I had bought it from a local bike shop and do not know the brand. When I fitted it to my Haibike it fitted very snugly and just felt really good, and has proved superb. It is still on the bike and showing no signs of failure. I just don't know the make. Towards the beginning of my thread, page two, I put a new rack on that was not that good, but a member RobF recommended Tubus, as they are made of steel, so they could be a good rack to check out.
appreciate the reply. Thank you. Will keep hunting

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
9 Year Update

After popping out to the bike to check the mileage, the reading makes no sense and may have reset at some point at some time. Now that I am not using the bike to commute on I have not been keeping an eye on the accumulated miles as frequently. Looking back in a dairy I use to note it down in I found a note from back on the 7th of January of this year 2024 where the bike had reached 19,412 miles. So that was 2,068 miles ridden since my 8 year update, and I have ridden it regularly since then so in its 8th year I have probably ridden it a few more miles than the 2,046 miles I did last year . Anyway at this point its all a bit academic . More importantly it still works brilliantly well and I continue to have lots of fun on it. I wonder how I and the bike will fare as I start my 10th year of ownership.

Gear changer twist grip Devils Punchbowl 19 05 2023 021.JPG

Transmission

I fitted a new transmission on the 17th of March 2023, with new Cassette, chain ring, chain, and jockey wheels, as well as a thorough clean of the rear Mech. I put a new chain on at some point during 2023 when the first on reached .5 and then have run through the Winter on that second chain. It is now stretched beyond the point that I can put a new chain on, and i will just run this until I judge it time to change everything. It is still working well, with no skipping under load, but I will need to change everything probably quite soon.This transmission is over a year old now and has around 1,450 miles on it, which includes a high proportion of off road miles, which from my perspective as a heavy rider is a respectable mileage to reach.

Gear changer twist grip Devils Punchbowl 19 05 2023 024.JPG

Battery

Still the original 400Wh battery that came with the bike. On a recent 12 mostly off road mile ride to the next town I used 26% of my battery getting there. This was using eco and off. Obviously with the riding experience I now have I know how to extend the range of my battery by the way I ride.

However the battery does still perform very well and from my perspective remarkably well as it is now over 9 years old.

Gear changer twist grip Devils Punchbowl 19 05 2023 001.JPG

Motor

I had my motor refurbished by Peter at Performance line bearings around the 18th of November 2022 and it had completed 2216 miles up to the 7th of January 2024. So with my odometer as of today not working it will have covered a few more miles since then. As I said when I got the motor back it felt as good as new and has continued to work brilliantly since.

Gear changer twist grip Devils Punchbowl 19 05 2023 002.JPG

Wear and Tear

I fitted a new back tyre on the on the 7th of December 2023. Another Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35, run tubeless. Its a great off road tyre that wears really well.

I found a part worn Schwalbe Smart Sam plus tyre in the garage and put that on the front.

I changed the front brake pads at some point and will change the back ones soon.

Gear changer twist grip Devils Punchbowl 19 05 2023 003.JPG

Conclusion

Another great year with a lot of great fitness/ leisure rides, but also a regular cross country ride to shop at The Lidl in Guildford as my town does not have one. Once laden up with shopping I ride to Guildford Railway station and get the train back to my home town Godalming and ride back to my house from the Station. So the bike is proving to be a tough, capable and very durable machine. It had good entry level components when I bought it which have stood up very well to a lot of use. The brakes and front forks are still functioning well. I think a nine speed transmission is a sweet spot choice for a crank drive you intend to ride a lot as it has a reasonable range of gears and is very economical when you need to replace parts. The biggest change I made to the bike was to fit a much better and much stronger hand built rear wheel. last year I pondered the question of whether I will I wear out before the bike and as I am now suffering with degenerative arthritis to both knees and also have meniscal injuries to both knees, the bike is looking a stronger bet than me! At least I now need an electric bike!

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
ODO OK
My odo meter on my motor has indeed reset, Yamaha obviously do not expect people to ride their motors as far as I have, but although it is starting from zero again, It is increasing as it should after each ride.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Sunday Ride

I cycled to a friends house on Sunday for Lunch. A thirty mile round trip in windy conditions. Lots of climbing in both directions. We live either side of Hindhead which is a high point in our area, so lots of climbing from where I live up to Hindhead before descending to my friends house and then the climb back to Hindhead from my friends house before the descent back to where I live.

IMG_7671.JPG

I managed to set off too late to do the best mostly off road route, but as the photographs show there were still some nice off road tracks to enjoy.

IMG_7674.JPG

My old battery only just managed the 15 ride to make it to my friends house without dipping below the 50% point. My friend allows me to charge at his house and I used 48% getting back to my house.

IMG_7675.JPG

The windy conditions were a factor in my battery consumption and always make maintaining momentum harder. This maybe the year I have to decide whether to buy a new expensive Yamaha battery, a pattern one or find a way to re cell mine. A 500Wh Yamaha battery costs £850.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Torque-E-Cycles battery repair can bus specialists uk 01803 325945

wont fkn post it tho

Related Articles

Advertisers