Haibike Yamaha flunked battery with flashing lights

Bob Powell

Just Joined
Aug 3, 2018
My Haibike SDuro MTB with Yamaha kit has done 2800km, and the battery seems to have flunked out. Would not switch on.

I tested it as per other people's suggestions. Battery showed less that 100 cycles, and showed 100% charge.

When I put it on charge, the top 2 indicator lights flashed alternately with the bottom 2. This would happen whether on or off the bike.

IMHO this suggests that the cells are OK but something gone bonkers with the management stuff???

I've bought a new battery (£300 for higher spec 13kAh, including postage from Germany), and it works perfectly. Battery repair sites charge more than that to fix one, and the main site I found are not even taking Yamaha batteries!

Any ideas?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it is a bms problem then it is a bin job same as bosch batts as neither sell the bms as a replacement out of warranty.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
if it is a bms problem then it is a bin job same as bosch batts as neither sell the bms as a replacement out of warranty.
The internal pack could be used on a kit bike remove the BMS and fit a generic one.
At only 100 cycles the cells should be in good nick.

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

Bob Powell

Just Joined
Aug 3, 2018
Thanks for advice and info folks. Lots of far-too-techy stuff on the German website, so will donate old battery to my tecky brother in law

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
What happens in you press the battery capacity indicator for 10 seconds as shown on page 22/23 of the document linked to by georgehenry?

Dmeraldi

Just Joined
Aug 24, 2021
Hello,
I’m having an issue with my Haibike. It has a Yamaha motor and I’ve looked at all the manuals I can find and none of them have the error code that’s shown. It’s start with the two bottom lights and the two top lights blinking alternately. Then when I hold down the power button on the battery the second light and the fourth light turn on.
Do u know what’s wrong and what I can do ??

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Hello,
I’m having an issue with my Haibike. It has a Yamaha motor and I’ve looked at all the manuals I can find and none of them have the error code that’s shown. It’s start with the two bottom lights and the two top lights blinking alternately. Then when I hold down the power button on the battery the second light and the fourth light turn on.
Do u know what’s wrong and what I can do ??
Does the bike run?
What happened immediately before this issue?
Have you tried to measure any voltages?
How long are you holding the power button?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Just out of interest, having not done so for probably a couple of years, I used my own link above to the manual to test the absolute battery capacity of my 2015 Yamaha 400Wh battery that is 6 years and 5 months old, and found that the test still shows that the battery scores at the highest level which should indicate that the capacity of the battery is in the 75% to 100% range.

As I said the last time I did this, it is a pretty blunt diagnostic tool as it only indicates that the capacity is above 75% and not more precisely where it lies in the range between 75% and 100%.

As part of the diagnostic process it also also reveals the total number of battery charging cycles and this time, the same as last time I checked, it showed that I had charged the battery 701 times or more. Probably a lot more as it showed the same result the last time I checked, from memory around two years ago.

So once again a blunt tool.

The measuring points set in the test in terms of capacity and charge cycles may relate to points at which a battery might be replaced within its warranty period rather than anything designed to be useful for an owner.

My battery still works very well, showing very little change in the amount of capacity it uses for the regular journeys I use the bike for. But those journeys only use the first half of the batteries capacity, generally no more than 40% from full, and the weakening resilience of the battery due to its age would more likely be revealed if I needed to use more of its capacity to travel further than I do. My suspicion is that the percentage of the battery left would fall a lot faster in the second half of its capacity, particularly if put under load.

Still, I am not complaining as my bike has now traveled over 14,000 miles since I bought the bike in March 2015, so the battery from my perspective is doing very well.

Reactions: Tony1951

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
GH like your other trusted steed aka the supersub/david, the Yamaha has served you very well and you have to admit you have been fortunate with getting a free new motor and managing to diy repair the battery when told it was scrap by the dealer.
Not every owner will be so fortunate or have the knowhow or balls to repair.

There's no doubt you have had your money's worth in a sense out of the bikes but even a 6 y/o Yamaha ebike shouldn't be such a short term buy as the brand sellers treat them as.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have to agree Nealh.

I may have mentioned in another thread last year that Haibike were selling an entry level Yamaha model that I was very tempted by, but in the end did not buy due to the problems I have become aware of by owning my bike inherent with electrical systems that you cannot easily mend yourself.

You are right, that I have been lucky with both the new motor and fixing the battery when it broke on my Yamaha Haibike. As you say my dealer was very good to replace the motor, effectively a few days outside the two year warranty period.

But even my good dealer was unable to touch the battery when the connectors broke and could only suggest either fixing it myself, or buying both a new battery and charger at a then cost of £800 for a problem that my friend and I fixed for a total cost of £10, and it is that original battery that still powers the bike.

Advertisers