Has anyone bypassed and removed the battery gauge?

HypnoToad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2012
I only ask as it's no longer useful to me as I'm running a 44v battery now.

Will the controller run ok if I remove it? As far as I can see it also has the wiring for the throttle, lights and brake sensors within, here's a photo of the PCB:

The Black, Green and Red wires are from the throttle and these go to the White, Blue and Green wires to the controller respectively.

The black wire to the controller appears to be for the brake lever switches, and the yellow wire is a voltage feed straight from the battery which also goes to the lights.

So, if I was to solder together the throttle cables, and also make the lights always on, then would I be able to get rid of the battery gauge and reclaim some space on my handlebars?

Or will doing this confuse the controller and stop the motor from working?

BillieH

Apr 13, 2012
Blackburn, Lancashire
Apologies for using an old thread. My problem is with the ezee battery gauge, as shown in the picture above. I bought a replacement one (from John - above) for my Ezee Quando. I wired it as the old one had been wired (which is as above). From the start I only got a green light - regardless of the state of the battery. I thought my soldering migth have been dodgy, so I just ignored it as the bike worked fine.

Anyway I opened it up recently and remade all the solder connections. I am fairly sure my soldering is OK, but this fault still persists. I looked in the technical manual mentioned above and note that not all the Ezee bikes seem to be wired the same way in the gauge.

Might this gauge be different from the original, or what could explain always getting a green light?

HypnoToad

Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for the replies, I did find that I did not need the battery gauge installed in order for the Ezee controller to function.

Unfortunately my Ezee controller melted it's FET's going up a rather steep hill, so I replaced the controller with an ecrazyman controller and things have been fine ever since.

I also found the battery gauge did not work for me either, which is why I wanted to bin it, now I just use a voltmeter on my handlebars in order to monitor my battery voltage. :)

EDIT: Are you using a 36v battery?

C

Cyclezee

Hi HypnoToad,

Firstly, the old style eZee LED battery gauge does not function with higher voltage non standard batteries and was never designed to do so. Whereas the new multifunction eZee LED console that came out last year can be set for 36 and 48v.

I don't know how old your Quando is , but I would imagine that the controller failed for the same reason, i.e. using a battery with a higher voltage than it was intended for.

Again, the current generation of 20 amp eZee controllers cope quite happily with 48v.

Advertisers